Merge segmentation data with original tomogram

Jaime Llodra

Aug 5, 2022, 11:00:22 AM8/5/22
to EMAN2
Dear members of this group,
I would like to know how to merge the segmentation data with the original tomogram. By segmentation data I mean the data from the use of the CNN for object classification.
Wish you a nice weekend,

Jaime Llodrá

Ludtke, Steven J.

Aug 5, 2022, 3:14:09 PM8/5/22
to em...@googlegroups.com
Merge? Not sure exactly what you mean by merge in this context. The results of the segmentation are something akin to a probability map. You could use this to color an isosurface, or threshold it, then apply it as a mask, or combine it with other segmentation maps to make a multi-level segmentation map and use that as a color map.  So, what are you trying to do with it?

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <slu...@bcm.edu>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology        Dept. of Biochemistry
Deputy Director, Advanced Technical Cores                   and Molecular Biology
Academic Director, CryoEM Core
Co-Director CIBR Center

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMAN2" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eman2/644fbcfd-19be-42fc-8f1e-8845b6e0ef66n%40googlegroups.com.

Jaime Llodra

Aug 5, 2022, 4:13:45 PM8/5/22
to em...@googlegroups.com
Dear Steven,

Apologies if I'm not clear.
I want to overlay the result of the segmentation into the original tomogram to see how similar/different they are.

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

Jaime

Ludtke, Steven J.

Aug 5, 2022, 4:56:59 PM8/5/22
to em...@googlegroups.com
There are a lot of different ways to do this sort of visualization. Here are 2 ideas:

As I said, you can load the tomogram and the segmentation map together into a package like Chimera/X, then use the segmentation map to color the surface/volume as you like. Chimera/X can directly read EMAN2 HDF files (though there may be differences in threshold values if the files are using the new compression scheme).

An alternative scheme would be to threshold the segmentation map at some value you prefer (threshold.binary processor). Multiply the original map by the thresholded volume (basically using it as a mask). Then you can compare the masked and unmasked volumes however you like...

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <slu...@bcm.edu>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology        Dept. of Biochemistry
Deputy Director, Advanced Technical Cores                   and Molecular Biology
Academic Director, CryoEM Core
Co-Director CIBR Center

Jaime Llodra

Aug 7, 2022, 11:39:42 AM8/7/22