rmbeadthr not behaving as expected

Colin Gauvin

Jul 13, 2022, 11:54:08 AM7/13/22
to EMAN2
I'm having some issues reconstructing a tomogram and removing fiducials from it.I'm using the --rmbeadthr option. My understanding from the tooltip is that it's density value threshold, and I'm assuming that density with a value above that is removed? But presumably there's also some sort of spatial component that's considered?

Anyways, in my tilt series, the values range from 0-255, and in one random tilt, for instance, the 32 pixel area average of a gold bead is 60. If I reconstruct the tomogram with any --rmbeadthr value however, the beads don't remove. Not at 10, not at 5, and not at 1.

Am I misinterpreting the --rmbeadthr option? What would explain this behavior?

Best,
Colin Gauvin
Cryo-EM Assistant Facility Manager
Montana State University

Steve Ludtke

Jul 13, 2022, 1:36:00 PM7/13/22
to em...@googlegroups.com
Hi Colin,
Are you using a current snapshot version of EMAN2 or an earlier release?  (e2version.py full output would be useful)

After your tilt series are pre-processed before reconstruction the range will no longer be 0-1, they will be "normalized" (mean or edgemean 0, std 1). With current versions of EMAN2, this normalization doesn't impact file size, an 8 bit representation is still used for storage, but in HDF format the images are appropriately rescaled. (https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1fJ0I3kGCFFw16)

If you are trying to reconstruct tomograms without preprocessing (import tilt series) you are likely to have a lot of issues...

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMAN2" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eman2/f0296353-36d7-4e06-81ce-9bf6a7c5db5en%40googlegroups.com.

Muyuan Chen

Jul 13, 2022, 2:01:53 PM7/13/22
to em...@googlegroups.com
—rmbeadthr uses the threshold of the tomogram instead of the tilt series. So if you pull out a temporary tomo_xx.hdf file, and find a threshold that only displays gold fiducial, make it positive and use that number.
Saying that, I have not used this option for a while, largely because I somehow only get fiducial less tilt series lately. So if this does not fix your issue, let me know and I can take a deeper look.
Muyuan

Colin Gauvin

Jul 18, 2022, 12:24:48 PM7/18/22
to EMAN2
I think I didn't hit reply all last time, so my last exchange isn't showing above.

But basically, if I go to the tomorecon_00 folder and open tomo_03.hdf in the 3D viewer, and lower the threshold until just the fiducials are visible, the threshold is -20. If I set --rmbeadthr=-20, nothing happens, fiducials are still present in the reconstructed tomogram.

I'm guessing this has to do either normalization or scaling? My tilt-series directly out of SerialEM opened in the 2D viewer shows values from -40 to +470. The "area average" of a fiducial is ~60. However, the area average of blank (ice) background is ~90. A portion of my virus is ~85. So fiducials have a lower value than sample which has a lower value than background. This seems to make sense to me - assuming the integer numbers represent counts, and counts don't happen where there's fiducials or other things scattering the electrons. Once I import that tilt-series into EMAN2, the fiducial is 55, the sample is ~85, and the background is ~90. This still makes sense, nothing seems to have happened to the data at this point. The tomogram and aligned tilt-series however set the density for most of the values to negative values, including the fiducials, and a good chunk of the sample value. The background is still ~ -1 to +1.

Muyuan Chen

Jul 18, 2022, 12:42:06 PM7/18/22
to em...@googlegroups.com
As I mentioned last time, use the absolute value , I.e. 20 instead of -20 for that option.

Colin Gauvin

Jul 18, 2022, 1:20:44 PM7/18/22
to EMAN2
Ah, so it was a reading comprehension issue on my end. Sorry about that - I do see now you said that. Setting it to higher is mitigating the gold beads now. I also understand now why you want to increase the number to lower the threshold to remove the beads, since it's actually a negative number.
Thanks for your help.

Colin Gauvin

Jul 18, 2022, 1:55:54 PM7/18/22
to EMAN2
Hmm...as an aside, in case anyone searches and arrives on this thread, I'm getting dramatically better bead removal with patch tracking enabled than with it disabled.

Muyuan Chen

Jul 18, 2022, 2:02:36 PM7/18/22
to em...@googlegroups.com
I noticed this lately too. I am guessing you are using relatively large beads and high mag (like 10nm gold and 1 apix), so that the default landmark based alignment does not perform as well. Maybe setting a larger --bxsz helps too. Anyway, --patchtrack should be quite stable at the latest version and enabling it shouldn't hurt.

Colin Gauvin

Jul 18, 2022, 3:01:37 PM7/18/22
to EMAN2
Yes - I'm using 10 nm gold and 1Å pixel size. I did try increasing the box size from 32 to 128 and my loss went from 0.8 nm to 0.5 nm, and all but a single gold bead was removed. It did take ~4x as long unfortunately, but I understand that comes with the territory. I will try 64 next. I think this may have been my problem from the beginning, actually.

Ludtke, Steven J.

Jul 18, 2022, 3:11:01 PM7/18/22
to em...@googlegroups.com
The next step is to exclude the beads earlier in the process (ie - in the experiment) :^)

We haven't used fiducials for about 5 years now
Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <slu...@bcm.edu>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology        Dept. of Biochemistry
Deputy Director, Advanced Technical Cores                   and Molecular Biology
Academic Director, CryoEM Core
Co-Director CIBR Center