Centos version requirement for EMAN2

Ruchao Peng

Jun 7, 2024, 12:11:13 PMJun 7
to em...@googlegroups.com
Dear Muyuan and Steven,

We intend to try the gmm_refinement function in EMAN2. Our IT support has responded that the latest version of EMAN2-v2.99.55 cannot be installed on Centos 7 which our workstation is running. Could you please explain a bit about the system requirement for running the program? Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Ruchao

Ruchao Peng, Ph.D.
Postdoc
Dept. of Biochemistry & Biophysics
Perelman School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania

Ludtke, Steven J.

Jun 8, 2024, 2:06:47 PMJun 8
to em...@googlegroups.com
It's worth noting that CentOS7 itself is end of life at the end of this month, meaning no security updates, etc., so you might want to consider that.

However, there should be no difficulties in installing EMAN2 binaries into an individual user's CentOS7 account (no sysadmin required):

There shouldn't be an issue with the binaries, the only issue with CentOS7 is trying to compile from source, which requires newer compilers and better system libraries than CentOS 7 has by default.

Note also if the computer is very old (>10-12 years), the processor may not be compatible with the binaries, and compiling from source is the only choice.

---
Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <slu...@bcm.edu>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology        Dept. of Biochemistry
Deputy Director, Advanced Technology Cores                  and Molecular Pharmacology
Academic Director, CryoEM Core
Co-Director CIBR Center

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "EMAN2" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/eman2/CAN%2BjuyAigBYz7fQyP2245w2uYLzdNN_HVH%2Brq9iqZa3WXCf2gA%40mail.gmail.com.

Ruchao Peng

Jun 9, 2024, 12:59:32 PMJun 9
to em...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, Steven! I will talk to our IP support to possibly update the system then.

Best,

Ludtke, Steven J. <slu...@bcm.edu> 于2024年6月8日周六 14:06写道: