PermissionError: [Errno 13] and suddenly aborting program

Jing

Aug 26, 2021, 3:17:07 PM8/26/21
to EMAN2
Hi!

I am facing 2 problems in 2D class averaging. When I import my micrographs (tiff files),  there is a permission error as below:
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: './NTUSER.DAT'.

And after picking particles of interest and I want to do some 2D analysis and click 'browse',  I  get following message:
ERROR: .lst file contains \r at pos 4. This should never happen. (If you edit a .lst file with a text editor on Windows, it will corrupt the file). Aborting program.

Do you know how to avoid these errors?
Thanks in advance for any idea.

Jing

Ludtke, Steven J.

Aug 28, 2021, 11:22:19 AM8/28/21
to em...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 26, 2021, at 2:17 PM, Jing <heidij...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi!

I am facing 2 problems in 2D class averaging. When I import my micrographs (tiff files),  there is a permission error as below:
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: './NTUSER.DAT'.
This generally would indicate that you used the browser in a folder where you didn't have permission to read all of the files present in the folder. Normally you would create a folder for each project you are working on, only put files associated with that project in that folder, and 'cd' to that folder before running _any_ EMAN2 programs.  Regardless, I don't believe that error is fatal, is it?  ie - is that error causing something to crash, or is it just appearing as a warning in the terminal window?

And after picking particles of interest and I want to do some 2D analysis and click 'browse',  I  get following message:
ERROR: .lst file contains \r at pos 4. This should never happen. (If you edit a .lst file with a text editor on Windows, it will corrupt the file). Aborting program.

Are you using the (recommended) WSL2 installation on Win10 or the (not-recommended) native windows install?  There are, unfortunately, a number of Windows-specific bugs, there are FAR fewer problems with the WSL2 approach, but you may still run into an occasional problem due to differences between Windows and pretty much every other computer platform ever created.

Anyway, if you are using the WSL2 install, then please specify exactly what steps you did and where the problem appeared. The error message is clear, but if we don't know exactly what you did to cause it, then it's impossible for us to locate the source of the problem and suggest a workaround.

cheers

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <slu...@bcm.edu>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology                      (www.bcm.edu/biochem)
Academic Director, CryoEM Core                                        (cryoem.bcm.edu)
Co-Director CIBR Center                                    (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr)