Python 3 transition tomorrow (Dec 4, 2019)

Steve Ludtke

Dec 3, 2019, 5:55:06 PM12/3/19
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com
Having heard no objections from the various leads, the plan is to officially start the Python 3 transition tomorrow!

This means:
- that moving forward code which will only work in Python 3 will begin getting committed to master
- backwards compatibility porting code added as a stopgap may be removed
- the automatic binary builds will be suspended until we can achieve a Python3 system with some reasonable level of functionality

The source compilation page:

now has a section on setting up a Python 3 environment (from an existing Python 2 anaconda setup). If you experience any problems, the easiest thing to do is probably to just start from scratch with a new Anaconda install.

The hope is that we can get the vast majority of the code working under Python 3 before X-mas

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <slu...@bcm.edu>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology                      (www.bcm.edu/biochem)
Academic Director, CryoEM Core                                        (cryoem.bcm.edu)
Co-Director CIBR Center                                    (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr)