Progress bar

Thorsten Wagner

Feb 22, 2019, 9:03:19 AM2/22/19
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I would like to use the following package in one of my programs:

https://pypi.org/project/tqdm/

https://anaconda.org/anaconda/tqdm

Can we add this as dependency or do we already have a similar package as dependency available?

Best,

Thorsten

_____________________________

Dr. Thorsten Wagner

Max-Planck-Institute of Molecular Physiology

Structural Biochemistry

Otto-Hahn Strasse 11

D-44227 Dortmund

Phone +49-(0)231-133-2357

Steve Ludtke

Feb 22, 2019, 9:36:52 AM2/22/19
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com
Is this something you need to use at runtime in end-user programs, or just for personal use while programming?  The GUI system already has a variety of progress bar capabilities. Is this something you need in a non-GUI environment?

Every added dependency is an added failure point for the system, so while we don't mind adding them if there is a good reason, like some major mathematical capability required by some algorithm, for something like an "easy progress bar" I'm not sure it's such a great idea.

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <slu...@bcm.edu>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology                      (www.bcm.edu/biochem)
Academic Director, CryoEM Core                                        (cryoem.bcm.edu)
Co-Director CIBR Center                                    (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr)

Thorsten Wagner

Feb 22, 2019, 9:44:34 AM2/22/19
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com

Hi Steve,

I would "need" it in a non-GUI environment. Actually the library is only for non-GUI environments. Of course, one does not need it, but it would be nice to have as it is pretty easy to use, gives good prediction of the remaining time and has no other dependencies:

https://github.com/tqdm/tqdm/blob/master/setup.py

Best,

Thorsten

_____________________________

Dr. Thorsten Wagner

Max-Planck-Institute of Molecular Physiology

Structural Biochemistry

Otto-Hahn Strasse 11

D-44227 Dortmund

Phone +49-(0)231-133-2357

Thorsten Wagner

Feb 22, 2019, 11:34:45 AM2/22/19
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com

Yes :-)

_____________________________

Gesendet: Freitag, 22. Februar 2019 17:32

Paul Penczek

Feb 22, 2019, 11:43:57 AM2/22/19
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com
I thought SPHIRE did away with line command programs.

Which program/project would benefit from user staring at a a single loop progress?
The way I see it most are not organized as single loops.

Regards,
Pawel

Thorsten Wagner

Feb 25, 2019, 7:59:36 AM2/25/19
to eman2-de...@googlegroups.com

Hi Pawel,

it is true that SPHIRE provides a GUI to generate command line commands and execute them.

However, everything is command line based and we do not plan to move away from it. As requested, we want to use tqdm to improve our outputs.

Best,

Thorsten

_____________________________

Dr. Thorsten Wagner

Max-Planck-Institute of Molecular Physiology

Structural Biochemistry

Otto-Hahn Strasse 11

D-44227 Dortmund

Phone +49-(0)231-133-2357