Re: Good deed

Ludtke, Steven J.

Dec 10, 2019, 6:24:33 PM12/10/19
to pawe...@outlook.com, eman2-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pawel,
pushing to master is the correct thing to do, as changes made to Python2 are only possible with a fork, which will never make it into the main code. To be clear, Python 3 does not yet work, and Python 2 is now a dead end. Any changes you make from Python 2 will never get merged.

Basically, until everyone manages to fix everything so it works in Python 3, we don't have a working development environment. After changing everything we could in Py2, this was really the only way to move forward. The hope is that we can get the really critical stuff fixed before Christmas and at least have a mostly working Py3 distribution.

Steven Ludtke, Ph.D. <slu...@bcm.edu>                      Baylor College of Medicine
Charles C. Bell Jr., Professor of Structural Biology
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology                      (www.bcm.edu/biochem)
Academic Director, CryoEM Core                                        (cryoem.bcm.edu)
Co-Director CIBR Center                                    (www.bcm.edu/research/cibr)

On Dec 10, 2019, at 4:15 PM, paul penczek <pawe...@outlook.com> wrote:

***CAUTION:*** This email is not from a BCM Source. Only click links or open attachments you know are safe.
Hi,

While waiting for your reply to my cluster question, I decided to clean up my C code as I noticed util_sparx takes forever to compile.  So I removed all sorts of unused functions and then tried to check in changes.

After that I got into troubles trying to psi it to GitHub.  I finally managed to push it into master.
Was that the right move?  I hope it will not vanish.  It may look like extensive changes,
But this is only commenting out stuff.

Now I wanted to start working only real project, which is to add a simple C function.  I do not expect
To modify python code.  What environment I should use? Eman2 or py3?  What branch?

Thanks,
Pawel.

On Dec 9, 2019, at 11:30 PM, Ludtke, Steven J. <slu...@bcm.edu> wrote:

Did you switch your source from 'python2' to the head of 'master' when you changed from Python 2 to Python 3?  'master' is not Python2 compatible any more, so if you had that working, it seems like you must have checked out the Python2 version of the source?