rinari and namespaces

Bogatyr

Apr 20, 2013, 3:55:09 AM4/20/13
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for a great Rails IDE and am a lifelong emacs user.   The Rails project I'm working on makes heavy use of namespaces.   One of the main reasons I want an IDE is to automatically navigate in the project quickly.  Mostly: "where is this thing defined?"     Before investing in setting up emacs using all the various packages is: does the automatic navigation in rinari work properly for objects defined within namespaces/modules, potentially several deep?

Steve Purcell

Apr 20, 2013, 5:29:10 AM4/20/13
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
I'm the rinari maintainer. It's not great with namespaces. However…

You might want to use Robe; it's an add-on which runs inside the rails console, and tells Emacs where everything is defined. It lets Emacs jump immediately to classes and methods, whether they're defined in your own files or in gems.

For general jumping about between files based on their names etc., you can use Projectile as an alternative to the jump commands provided by rinari.

-Steve

--

---

Павел Осадчий

Apr 23, 2013, 11:32:00 AM4/23/13
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
How to run an entire Rails app in inf-ruby to make it available with Robe? Can u give a brief guide, pls? Regards, Pavlo.

Dmitry Gutov

Apr 23, 2013, 11:44:48 AM4/23/13
to Павел Осадчий, public-emacs-on-rails-...@plane.gmane.org

Павел Осадчий <posadchiy-Re5JQE...@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> How to run an entire Rails app in inf-ruby to make it available with
> Robe?

1. Install rinari, add (global-rinari-mode) to your init file.
2. Open a file inside the app (rinari-minor-mode should be on now).
3. Type M-x rinari-console, or press `C-c ; c'. Wait for it to start.

--Dmitry

Steve Purcell

Apr 23, 2013, 12:38:06 PM4/23/13
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com