'Could not find rack-1.4.1 in any of the sources'

cola-zero

Jan 23, 2012, 3:09:27 PM1/23/12
to Rails On Emacs
Hello.

I have a problem when I run server, console, tests from rinari.
When I enter 'M-x rinari-console', 'M-x rinari-web-server', or 'M-x
rinari-test'
following messages are shown.

------
Could not find rack-1.4.1 in any of the sources
Run `bundle install` to install missing gems.

Process ruby exited abnormally with code 7
------

I'm using GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (i386-apple-darwin11.2.0, NS apple-
appkit-1138.23),
rinari-2.3 from elpa, and rvm 1.10.2.

I think this pull request is related: https://github.com/eschulte/rinari/pull/17
Does anyone have comments?

Thanks.
cola-zero.

localredhead

Jan 23, 2012, 3:44:27 PM1/23/12
to Rails On Emacs
Hi - I have this same issue if RVM is not setup correctly inside of
emacs. Even though my system uses RVM correctly EMACS still needs me
to be explicit and tell it which gemset to use.

Does rvm-use function properly for you? Additionally - does it solve
your problem mentioned above if you tell RVM to use the correct gemset
within emacs?

I am using Emacs 24 on OSX Lion and I have had so many issues that I
have contemplated building a linux box just to use emacs on.

I actually had to troubleshoot to get RVM working correctly because
the version in either tromey or marmalade was out of date. For emacs
24 on OSX everything obtained through ELPA is virtually out of date
and your best bet is pulling HEAD from github. This is a blanket
statement I realize but in the end I think you'll save yourself time
by just pulling what you need form github instead of through elpa.
(you may not have this issue). I had problems getting Rinari to work
and ended up using Emacs-rails so if your troubleshooting takes you
down a rabbit hole I would consider giving emacs-rails a try even
though all the uber rails folks say rinari is better.

I have gotten everything to work except for M-. (go to function) but I
get around it by using grep. For whatever reason OSX and Exuberent
Ctags generates a faulty CTAGS file.

Regards,
-Levi

Charles Magid

Jan 23, 2012, 4:33:38 PM1/23/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
In order to get the latest versions; consider using el-get instead or elpa. ;)

cola-zero

Jan 23, 2012, 5:36:27 PM1/23/12
to Rails On Emacs
Thank you for your reply.

> Does rvm-use function properly for you?  Additionally - does it solve
> your problem mentioned above if you tell RVM to use the correct gemset
> within emacs?
completion for rvm-use is not working.
I make a patch to fix this: https://github.com/cola-zero/rvm.el/commit/1d27d814eac2bdf8e612d1210ed6a0f7a279cbf6

But this patch did not change output of rinari-console, even though
use rinari on GitHub.

> I have gotten everything to work except for M-. (go to function) but I
> get around it by using grep.  For whatever reason OSX and Exuberent
> Ctags generates a faulty CTAGS file.
If you use homebrew, you should check this: https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/pull/4870

Regards,
cola-zero

cola-zero

Jan 23, 2012, 5:38:54 PM1/23/12
to Rails On Emacs
> In order to get the latest versions; consider using el-get instead or elpa. ;)
Thank you for your information!

Steve Purcell

Jan 24, 2012, 3:41:59 AM1/24/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
localredhead <levi....@gmail.com> writes:
> I actually had to troubleshoot to get RVM working correctly because
> the version in either tromey or marmalade was out of date. For emacs
> 24 on OSX everything obtained through ELPA is virtually out of date
> and your best bet is pulling HEAD from github. This is a blanket
> statement I realize but in the end I think you'll save yourself time
> by just pulling what you need form github instead of through elpa.
> (you may not have this issue). I had problems getting Rinari to work
> and ended up using Emacs-rails so if your troubleshooting takes you
> down a rabbit hole I would consider giving emacs-rails a try even
> though all the uber rails folks say rinari is better.

I don't completely agree with this; it's better for the community to
invest in getting the ELPA packages working than for everyone to
separately work around problems by using git submodules for everything.

Yes, the rvm.el in ELPA *is* out of date; I filed a bug report offering to
help (see https://github.com/senny/rvm.el/issues/18), and the author has
lost his marmalade-repo password, so perhaps using a git version for
that package is currently advisable.

However...

Up-to-date packages for almost everything else are available in
Marmalade or ELPA, and the rinari in Marmalade is certainly the latest
version -- I uploaded it myself.

I have a reasonably complete and working Emacs configuration which
readers are welcome to look around: https://github.com/purcell/emacs.d

I used git submodules to manage package dependencies for a long time,
then el-get, and now I've invested a lot of time in packaging libraries
for ELPA -- I'd love to see the community help to move in that
direction, especially now that package.el is a standard emacs package.

-Steve

localredhead

Jan 24, 2012, 4:24:31 AM1/24/12
to Rails On Emacs
I *completely* agree with you but some people struggle to devote that
time and effort. I would like to start.

I took notes throughout most of my painful setup so that I could
contribute the knowledge (if need be) to the sources and give back to
the community. I haven't done this yet because I'm still in the midst
of getting everything working, and I work the majority of my waking
hours and I am also very new to emacs / lisp. Once I overcome these
things I'll be able to give back ;)

Unfortunately the community uses el-get for pretty much everything
doesn't it? I love the idea of ELPA.

-Levi

On Jan 24, 12:41 am, Steve Purcell <st...@sanityinc.com> wrote:
> localredhead <levi.str...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I actually had to troubleshoot to get RVM working correctly because
> > the version in either tromey or marmalade was out of date.  For emacs
> > 24 on OSX everything obtained through ELPA is virtually out of date
> > and your best bet is pulling HEAD from github.  This is a blanket
> > statement I realize but in the end I think you'll save yourself time
> > by just pulling what you need form github instead of through elpa.
> > (you may not have this issue).  I had problems getting Rinari to work
> > and ended up using Emacs-rails so if your troubleshooting takes you
> > down a rabbit hole I would consider giving emacs-rails a try even
> > though all the uber rails folks say rinari is better.
>
> I don't completely agree with this; it's better for the community to
> invest in getting the ELPA packages working than for everyone to
> separately work around problems by using git submodules for everything.
>
> Yes, the rvm.el in ELPA *is* out of date; I filed a bug report offering to
> help (seehttps://github.com/senny/rvm.el/issues/18), and the author has

Steve Purcell

Jan 24, 2012, 6:00:02 AM1/24/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
localredhead <levi....@gmail.com> writes:
> I *completely* agree with you but some people struggle to devote that
> time and effort. I would like to start.
>
> I took notes throughout most of my painful setup so that I could
> contribute the knowledge (if need be) to the sources and give back to
> the community. I haven't done this yet because I'm still in the midst
> of getting everything working, and I work the majority of my waking
> hours and I am also very new to emacs / lisp. Once I overcome these
> things I'll be able to give back ;)

I'm sure your notes will be appreciated by many!

> Unfortunately the community uses el-get for pretty much everything
> doesn't it? I love the idea of ELPA.

It's true that many people use el-get, though I doubt it's a majority of
the community. When el-get came out, I was excited because it
seemed to be a pragmatic solution to the mess of Emacs libraries.

I contributed a lot of recipes and core patches to el-get, and
eventually concluded that it was turning into a complicated package
manager. In the meantime, the Emacs community - or at least the core
developers - had chosen a different package manager: package.el.

Encouraged by the Emacs Starter Kit author's success in splitting his
config up into separate ELPA packages, I ditched el-get, started
packaging, and now almost all of the libs I use are in ELPA; just a few
submodules remain.

Marmalade-Repo.org has some limitations, yet it still makes it
relatively easy to create packages.

I'm working on a plan to create a new package repository containing many
more ELPA packages automatically built from various emacsmirror repos
(https://github.com/emacsmirror).

So by all means use el-get if that currently lets you start doing real
work faster, but my money's on ELPA in the long term. :-)

-Steve

theturingmachine

Jan 27, 2012, 6:36:47 AM1/27/12
to Rails On Emacs
If you have a .rvmrc in your project you could use the function:

rvm-activate-corresponding-ruby

Greetings

cola-zero

Jan 27, 2012, 6:18:30 PM1/27/12
to Rails On Emacs
Thanks for reply.

> If you have a .rvmrc in your project you could use the function:
>
> rvm-activate-corresponding-ruby

This is not solve problem.
I have same error.
I'm using rvm 1.10.2 and bundler 1.0.21.
Can you use rinari-web-server?

cola-zero

Jan 27, 2012, 9:45:58 PM1/27/12
to Rails On Emacs
I found workaround for this problem.
When I define BUNDLE_PATH in /path/to/project/.bundle/config like
follows.

---
BUNDLE_DISABLE_SHARED_GEMS: '1'
BUNDLE_PATH: ./vendor/bundler

But, I can't find why this work.
When I remove BUNDLE_PATH form project config, it won't work.

Thank you for help!