current rails modes?

sergio_101

Jun 27, 2012, 9:07:18 AM6/27/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
hey, all..

i have been working with vim for the past year or so on a few very large rails projects.. for a bazillion years before that, i was using emacs with rails.

for a couple different reasons, i am back in emacs camp.

upon my return, i found that all the rails modes have been forked and scattered everywhere.. it's hard to get a read on where everything is now, and what the latest modes are that people are using daily.

so, my question to this group..

what rails mode is currently the most developed and the most popular? where should i look for the most current versions of these?

thanks!

Rafael B. Tauil

Jun 27, 2012, 9:41:54 AM6/27/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
Sergio,

I think that rinari ( github.com/technomancy/rinari ) is the one, not sure...

Best!
________________________
Rafael B Tauil
UI Designer / Web developer
http://rafael.tauil.com.br

Aleksandar Simic

Jun 27, 2012, 9:42:51 AM6/27/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sergio,

I've always used Rinari, with the official repo being at:

https://github.com/eschulte/rinari/

The README might not scream uber coolness but, the mode is definitely
current and working.

Mr. Steve Purcell keeps it up to date.

I install it via MELPA: http://melpa.milkbox.net/

Have fun,
Alex

Luca de Marinis

Jun 27, 2012, 9:57:27 AM6/27/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Aleksandar Simic <asi...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM, sergio_101 <sergi...@village-buzz.com> wrote:
> hey, all..
>

> what rails mode is currently the most developed and the most popular? where
> should i look for the most current versions of these?

I use rinari as well.

bye

sergio_101

Jun 27, 2012, 10:55:21 AM6/27/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sergio,

I've always used Rinari, with the official repo being at:

https://github.com/eschulte/rinari/

thanks, all!

i used rinari forever, and it worked really well..  so i will get that running again..

thanks!

Simão Mata

Jun 28, 2012, 4:15:09 AM6/28/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
Also using rinari here.

Just curious, why did you move from vi to emacs again?

murtaza52

Jul 30, 2012, 2:06:13 AM7/30/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com

I was also looking to install a mode for emacs. I see there are two - rinari and emacs-rails. Just curious why is rinari the preferred one over the other ?

Thanks,
Murtaza

Steve Purcell

Jul 30, 2012, 11:17:41 AM7/30/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, emacs-rails spent a long time abandoned, causing many people to switch to rinari.

Rinari is smaller and with less ambitious goals, so there are fewer parts to break.

I see that some work has been done on emacs-rails recently https://github.com/remvee/emacs-rails/ so why not try them both and report your impressions here?

Disclaimer: I'm a rinari maintainer.

-Steve