how to disable auto-fill-mode

ChandleWEi

Aug 18, 2008, 10:36:46 PM8/18/08
to Rails On Emacs
I don't know how to disable this mode , and I try any way but no effect
to disable this mode

David Lee

Aug 19, 2008, 4:54:56 AM8/19/08
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
M-x auto-fill-mode

 its a toggle thing.

Now I'd really like to know how to disable it from turning itself on ...

--
cheers,
David Lee

ChandleWEi

Aug 19, 2008, 5:22:32 AM8/19/08
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
David Lee: thx, I just would to disable it in initial emacs ,maybe
in .emacs ,type M-x auto-fill-mode need again and again if you edit new
page
在 2008-08-19二的 18:54 +1000,David Lee写道:

Phil Hagelberg

Aug 19, 2008, 1:07:29 PM8/19/08
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
ChandleWEi <chand...@gmail.com> writes:

> David Lee: thx, I just would to disable it in initial emacs ,maybe
> in .emacs ,type M-x auto-fill-mode need again and again if you edit new

This should not be enabled by default; either you are activating it in
your .emacs or some mode you are using is activating it. Since it's
buffer-local, it is probably being set in a hook so it activates for
each new buffer.

But one thing I like to do is set comment-auto-fill-only-comments to t
so that auto-fill doesn't happen unless you're in comments. Of course,
if you set this globally it won't work in text-mode or other non-coding
modes that don't have any notion of comments, so I have this in my
coding hook:

(set (make-local-variable 'comment-auto-fill-only-comments) t)

-Phil

David Lee

Aug 22, 2008, 6:31:29 AM8/22/08
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Phil,

yes, something must be activating it by default. I'll figure out what eventually ...

re:  (set (make-local-variable 'comment-auto-fill-only-comments) t)

that's a useful tip, thanks.

- D
--
cheers,