Can't install rinari on Emacs 24

Павел Осадчий

Nov 23, 2012, 10:46:55 AM11/23/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
Does the latest rinari work with emacs24? I've cloned rinari repo and added rinari to .emacs file, but when I enter Rails folder from eshell, emacs doesn't swith to eshell/rinari mode. My envi ts tne next: Ubuntu 12.10, emacs installed from apt-get, Rails version is 3.1.0 . Thanks in advance!

Dmitry Gutov

Nov 23, 2012, 11:08:56 AM11/23/12
to Павел Осадчий, public-emacs-on-rails-...@plane.gmane.org

Hey Pavel,

Павел Осадчий <posadchiy-Re5JQE...@public.gmane.org>
writes:
> Does the latest rinari work with emacs24? I've cloned rinari repo and added
> rinari to .emacs file, but when I enter Rails folder from eshell, emacs doesn't
> swith to eshell/rinari mode.

Mine doesn't enter rinari-minor-mode after `cd` in eshell either.
Why do you think it should?

--Dmitry

Aleksandar Blagotić

Nov 23, 2012, 11:33:11 AM11/23/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com, Павел Осадчий, public-emacs-on-rails-...@plane.gmane.org
AFAIK, it never did. O_o

aL3xa
Message has been deleted

Павел Осадчий

Nov 23, 2012, 1:14:45 PM11/23/12
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com, Павел Осадчий, public-emacs-on-rails-...@plane.gmane.org
In the next screencast author emphasize, that it should: http://vimeo.com/2854412 (watch time 03:40). Nevertheless, even if I open, for example, rails application.rb file, it doesn't switch to Rinary too. I'll try to switch to Rinary mode manually and will report the result. Guys, tnx for your replies.

пятница, 23 ноября 2012 г., 18:33:42 UTC+2 пользователь Aleksandar Blagotić написал:
AFAIK, it never did. O_o

aL3xa

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Dmitry Gutov <dgu...@yandex.ru> wrote:

Hey Pavel,

Павел Осадчий <posadchiy-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Message has been deleted

Justin Mills

Jan 18, 2013, 9:55:46 AM1/18/13
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar issue. For me the problem was that I was also using the emacs-starter-kit, particularly the starter-kit-ruby.el which set the rinari-major-modes variable. I added this to my rinari initialization code and rinari minor mode started worked in the appropriate buffers:
      (setq rinari-major-modes nil)

Dmitry Gutov

Jan 18, 2013, 12:27:08 PM1/18/13
to Justin Mills, public-emacs-on-rails-...@plane.gmane.org

Justin Mills <vortexjj-Re5JQE...@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I had a similar issue. For me the problem was that I was also using the
> emacs-starter-kit, particularly the starter-kit-ruby.el which set the
> rinari-major-modes variable. I added this to my rinari initialization code and
> rinari minor mode started worked in the appropriate buffers:
>
> (setq rinari-major-modes nil)

You're right, starter-kit-ruby breaks it, but that's a separate issue.

Even if you fix that, eshell's cd still won't enter rinari-minor-mode if
rinari was installed though Elpa and hasn't been loaded yet.

I wouldn't recommend using starter-kit-ruby anyway, for example because
of this: https://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit/pull/145

Steve Purcell

Jan 19, 2013, 4:44:01 AM1/19/13
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, that's my fault: I recently switched rinari to use the globalised minor mode mechanism for activation, so that rinari is available in all major modes by default. So the meaning of rinari-major-modes has changed from a list of *additional* rinari-enabled modes to an optional exhaustive list of major modes in which to enable rinari.

It sounds like emacs-starter-kit needs to be patched, and the industrious Dmitry Gutov has already filed an issue:

(I should add that you'll likely get the fastest response to rinari issues like this if you file them on github.)

Cheers,

-Steve

Dmitry Gutov

Jan 19, 2013, 1:40:30 PM1/19/13
to Steve Purcell, public-emacs-on-rails-...@plane.gmane.org

Steve Purcell <steve-8RjgBjVaiL58UrSeD/g0...@public.gmane.org> writes:
> Sorry, that's my fault: I recently switched rinari to use the globalised minor
> mode mechanism for activation, so that rinari is available in all major modes by
> default. So the meaning of rinari-major-modes has changed from a list of
> *additional* rinari-enabled modes to an optional exhaustive list of major modes
> in which to enable rinari.

There's also a change in the values the list contains: hooks vs mode names.

> https://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit/issues/156

I wouldn't hold my breath to see it fixed, though. Phil doesn't
respond to starter-kit issues too quickly in general, and he disavowed
the Ruby submodule a while ago.