Still maintained?

gvim

Apr 3, 2015, 5:31:06 AM4/3/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
Is Emacs Live still being maintained? CIDER has had a couple of releases
since the last stable.

gvim

Sam Aaron

Apr 3, 2015, 6:01:21 AM4/3/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com

> On 3 Apr 2015, at 10:31, gvim <gvi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is Emacs Live still being maintained? CIDER has had a couple of releases since the last stable.

CIDER 0.8.2 still appears to be the latest git tag.

Unfortunately I can’t ship intermediate releases as they now require a matching jar to be installed in your ~/.lein and it would be possible for the dev jar to be more recent and therefore incompatible with a fixed CIDER hash.

I’m therefore sticking with actual CIDER point releases at this stage.

Sam

Sam Aaron

Apr 3, 2015, 6:34:09 AM4/3/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
I should also add that as soon as a new CIDER gets tagged, I’ll release a new version of Emacs Live to match :-)

Sam

gvim

Apr 3, 2015, 4:57:34 PM4/3/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
Ah, sorry, I thought the last Emacs Live release was for CIDER 0.7. I
have it working with CIDER 0.8 but had to use the dev pack.

gvim

Sean Corfield

May 11, 2015, 6:30:54 PM5/11/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
It looks like CIDER 0.8.1 is used in Emacs Live stable, but CIDER 0.8.2 is used in dev. I ran into a bug with CIDER 0.8.1 that is fixed in 0.8.2 -- when is a new version of Emacs Live likely that has CIDER 0.8.2 in stable?

Right now, I'm running with the submodules init'd & updated and update-live-packs run but I'd rather just run the latest master of Emacs Live untouched...

Sean

andrea.r...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2015, 3:51:35 PM6/3/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the spam, but for this too, have a look at my branch:
https://github.com/arichiardi/emacs-live/tree/ar-stable

Sam Aaron

Jun 3, 2015, 3:57:30 PM6/3/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
The latest version of CIDER is in the dev packs. As soon as 0.8.3 is released, i’ll release a new Emacs Live in tandem :-)

Sam

> On 3 Jun 2015, at 20:20, andrea.r...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Sorry for the spam, but for this too, have a look at my branch:
> https://github.com/arichiardi/emacs-live/tree/ar-stable

Sean Corfield

Jun 3, 2015, 4:11:33 PM6/3/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 3, 2015, at 12:57 PM, Sam Aaron <sama...@gmail.com> wrote:
The latest version of CIDER is in the dev packs. As soon as 0.8.3 is released, i’ll release a new Emacs Live in tandem :-)

Thanks Sam. Any reason you didn’t release a new Emacs Live with CIDER 0.8.2? For now, we rolled back to untouched master and stable packs because we found a better way to deal with 0.8.1’s shortcomings around remote servers (and that was to actually rely on SSH tunneling anyway, after we’d evaluated the pros and cons).

On 3 Jun 2015, at 20:20, andrea.r...@gmail.com wrote:
Sorry for the spam, but for this too, have a look at my branch:
https://github.com/arichiardi/emacs-live/tree/ar-stable

Thanks Andrea but for the same reason we’d prefer master/stable, we’d prefer the official repo over a random third party version.

Background:

We’ve standardized at work (World Singles) on Emacs Live and to keep local troubleshooting to a minimum and provide consistency when pair programming we want everyone on an official stable version. We have a standard set of etc/custom/custom-configuration.el stuff that we keep under our own git repo for team-wide customizations. Each team member can go the ~/.emacs-live.el route and have additional packs in ~/.live-packs if they want (the zenburn theme is popular here — waves at Charlie!) — and that’s easy to move aside if we need to troubleshoot.

Sean Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."

Sam Aaron

Jun 3, 2015, 4:35:15 PM6/3/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com

> On 3 Jun 2015, at 21:11, Sean Corfield <se...@corfield.org> wrote:
>
> On Jun 3, 2015, at 12:57 PM, Sam Aaron <sama...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The latest version of CIDER is in the dev packs. As soon as 0.8.3 is released, i’ll release a new Emacs Live in tandem :-)
>
> Thanks Sam. Any reason you didn’t release a new Emacs Live with CIDER 0.8.2?

None other than I’ve been massively distracted with Sonic Pi these days which means I’ve mostly been doing Ruby dev. I would happily release a point release of Emacs Live with CIDER ~0.8.2/3 if I found it to be stable. However, this isn’t possible in a safe way because the Clojure parts are now in a lein plugin which has to match which means that it is possible that a future lein snapshot of the Clojure part could break against the latest ‘stable’ Emacs Live. This is pretty frustrating and means I have to follow the (seemingly pretty sporadic) release cycle of CIDER.

Please do keep pushing me to update - especially if you’re relying on it for production work!

Sam

Sean Corfield

Jun 3, 2015, 4:49:22 PM6/3/15
to emacs...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 3, 2015, at 1:35 PM, Sam Aaron <sama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> None other than I’ve been massively distracted with Sonic Pi these days

:)

> However, this isn’t possible in a safe way because the Clojure parts are now in a lein plugin which has to match which means that it is possible that a future lein snapshot of the Clojure part could break against the latest ‘stable’ Emacs Live. This is pretty frustrating and means I have to follow the (seemingly pretty sporadic) release cycle of CIDER.

Understood. Thanks for the clarification!