g-client trouble on Windows

Sridhar Ratna

Jun 4, 2007, 2:41:23 AM6/4/07
to emacs-g-client, Sridha...@gmail.com
I tried setting up g-client on Windows by simulating the Makefile by
hand and installing xsltproc for Windows.

However, I failed to run the blogger commands. For example M-x
gblogger-blog throws a HTML file with the following error,

-:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found
^
unable to parse -

Do you have any idea why this is happening? And what is the `path'
that cannot be found?

PS: Also CC to me when replying.

ramanraman

Jun 4, 2007, 10:06:40 AM6/4/07
to emacs-g-client

Sridhar Ratna wrote:
&gt; I tried setting up g-client on Windows by simulating the Makefile
by
&gt; hand and installing xsltproc for Windows.
&gt;
&gt; However, I failed to run the blogger commands. For example M-x
&gt; gblogger-blog throws a HTML file with the following error,
&gt;
&gt; -:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '&lt;' not found
&gt; The system cannot find the path specified.
&gt; ^
&gt; unable to parse -
&gt;
&gt; Do you have any idea why this is happening? And what is the `path'
&gt; that cannot be found?
&gt;
&gt; PS: Also CC to me when replying.
Looking ath the "path not found" message, I suspect you dont have
curl installed.

Note that g-client has not been tested under Windows at all, so
I'm not too surprized it didn't work right away. That said, the
only external dependencies are xsltproc and curl -- the rest is
Emacs Lisp, so in principle it should work if the external
dependencies are present.

Sridhar Ratna

Jun 4, 2007, 10:59:38 PM6/4/07
to emacs-g-client
Hey Raman,

I installed curl and openssl for Windows. ``curl'' is in PATH. I could
even do M-! curl from within emacs.

But g-client is still throwing the same error.

ramanraman

Jun 5, 2007, 7:52:28 PM6/5/07
to emacs-g-client
The next step in debugging this:

(setq g-html-handler 'switch-to-buffer g-atom-view-xsl nil)

What the above does:

turn off the conversion from xml to xhtml and make g-client
switch to the "
*g-scratch*" buffer
where it places what it got from the server.

This will show you exactly what the curl invocation produced, and
might make it easier to track down the cause of the error.

Sridhar Ratna

Jun 6, 2007, 3:29:18 AM6/6/07
to emacs-g-client
Okay, I did that now.

And then after doing the usual M-x gblogger-blog .. a new buffer named
*g scratch* was opened with this text - "The system cannot find the
path specified."

That's all! any idea?

ramanraman

Jun 6, 2007, 10:06:07 AM6/6/07
to emacs-g-client

Well, the error Windows is giving you,

"The system cannot find the
path specified.""
probably means it cant find an executable it needs, and in this
case, I suspect it cant find curl.

Try M-x customize-variable g-curl-program
and set it to the fully qualified path to the curl binary.
--Raman

Sridhar Ratna

Jun 6, 2007, 12:46:05 PM6/6/07
to emacs-g-client
I cannot do `M-x customize-variable' as there is no such variable
called g-curl-program.

:-(

M-! curl works, btw.. so it may not be curl path problem.

ramanraman

Jun 6, 2007, 8:24:52 PM6/6/07
to emacs-g-client
g-curl-program is defined in g-utils.el.

If you haven't go tthat, then nothing else is going to
work. Please check your installation, and make sure you've run
make config to set things up correctly.

Your problem is definitely one of emacs not finding curl

--Raman

Sridhar Ratna

Jun 6, 2007, 10:57:44 PM6/6/07
to emacs-g-client
Ok, I have got that in M-x customize (after doing gblogger-blog, it
gets defined). I set the value to "D:\elisp\g-client\xsltproc\bin
\curl.exe". Saved for future sessions; restarted emacs; but STILL see
the same "path not found" error.

I have no idea on how to find the "traceback" so that maybe I can try
printing the "path" that was being looked for?

ramanraman

Jun 7, 2007, 10:10:46 AM6/7/07
to emacs-g-client

Type the following in the *scratch* buffer :

(shell-command
(format "%s http://www.google.com"
g-curl-program))
and press C-j

This should launch g-curl-program and pull http://www.google.com

When you set g-curl-program, did you make sure to escape the '\'
in the filepath?

This is one more reason to install cygwin because that lets you
use the more sane filename separator '/'.

Sridhar Ratna

Jun 7, 2007, 10:52:25 PM6/7/07
to emacs-g-client

On Jun 7, 7:10 pm, ramanraman <tv.raman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Type the following in the *scratch* buffer :
>
> (shell-command

> (format "%shttp://www.google.com"

> g-curl-program))
> and press C-j
>
> This should launch g-curl-program and pullhttp://www.google.com

Yes, it works as expected. I get the HTML of the page (for www.yahoo.com)

But still, M-x gblogger-blog fails with that error message.

Sridhar Ratna

Jun 8, 2007, 12:09:04 AM6/8/07
to emacs-g-client
I tried installing cygwin (with curl). But still I get the same error.