Problem with fresh SVN checkout.

Tim O'Callaghan

Jun 20, 2007, 9:52:17 AM6/20/07
to emacs-g-client
Hi,

I just checked out the SVN repo and when i try and load it it seems to
be missing the files:
g-loaddefs.el
g-cus-load.el

Are they required?

Tim.

Tim O'Callaghan

Jun 20, 2007, 10:06:36 AM6/20/07
to emacs-g-client

Ok, my bad. I generally avoid makefiles, and so missed the fact that
these two are auto-generated.
Still my make is failing, probably because i'm running Xemacs.

Would it be possible to check in default copies of the files, or post
some here?

Tim.

ramanraman

Jun 22, 2007, 9:33:58 AM6/22/07
to emacs-g-client
Tim,

The problem with checking in a pre-generated g-loaddefs.el is
that it will get overwritten each time, and worse, it may not
work predictably across different emacsuns.

For xemacs, I'm sure an equivalent g-loaddefs.el could be
generated with the appropriate make rule, but I dont run xemacs.

The easiest thing to do is to create a one-line file that has a
(provide 'g-loaddefs)
in it.

--Raman

Tim O'Callaghan

Jun 28, 2007, 6:57:31 AM6/28/07
to emacs-g-client

On Jun 22, 3:33 pm, ramanraman <tv.raman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim,
>
> The problem with checking in a pre-generated g-loaddefs.el is
> that it will get overwritten each time, and worse, it may not
> work predictably across different emacsuns.
>
> For xemacs, I'm sure an equivalent g-loaddefs.el could be
> generated with the appropriate make rule, but I dont run xemacs.
>
> The easiest thing to do is to create a one-line file that has a
> (provide 'g-loaddefs)
> in it.
>
> --Raman

Which is what i did eventually.

What about a 'template' file that exists in the SVN that make would
overwrite,
but contains an example of what these files should contain. On loading
you can
check to see if the templates have been changed and fail if not.

Tim.

ramanraman

Jun 28, 2007, 10:18:41 AM6/28/07
to emacs-g-client

That would work,
but the lazy programmer solution is to document the edge case.

If you send me a patch I'll integrate it;-)
Alternatively, if the problem becomes a cause of many complaints
I'll fix it ---

Tim O'Callaghan

Jul 3, 2007, 7:16:12 AM7/3/07
to emacs-g-client
I started looking at the Makefile, but it's not usable on the windows
native Xemacs. I installed Cygwin xemacs and emacs and tried those.
emacs makes fine, xemacs fails with something about cannot invoke
function nil.

Tim.