Crowdsourcing

Kris Kowal

Apr 13, 2010, 2:21:49 AM4/13/10
to elv...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on an elvish map of Middle Earth. It'll be hand drawn,
with interchangeable layers for the labels (english, sindarin) x
(latin x tengwar). If you've got a moment to help me do some
research, it'd be really helpful, considering the scope of the
project. I have some questions.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1688099/endor/labels.png

* What does "ochel" in "Forochel" mean?

* What is the Sindarin word for "gulf" as in "Gulf of Lhun"?

* Is there a Sindarin word for "Downs" as in "North Downs"? Could one
be fabricated? Hills? Eryn Formen?

* What is the Sindarin word for "Weather" as in "Weather Hills"?

* What does "Daer" mean in "Lond Daer", "Havens of ?"?

* How does one write the non-diphthong "ia" as in "Minhiriath"? I
could use the "a" carrier, or just put both tehtar on thule.

* In a compound word, where an inner word ends with "r", do you use
"romen" or "ore"?

More to come,
Thanks!
Kris

Sven Lugar

Apr 13, 2010, 5:19:46 AM4/13/10
to elv...@googlegroups.com
Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer does a very good job including the
ability to match styles to some of the more classic Tolkein maps as well
as hand-drawn & other techniques. It will give you more control,
consistency, the ability to edit, correct, & a lot more portability so
you can share it.

If I recall correctly romen is used to begin a word or syllable & ore is
used to end words & syllables or in the middle.

Skal,
Sven

Fïriel

Apr 13, 2010, 6:05:20 PM4/13/10
to elvish
Hi Kris.

I am not knowledgable about Sindarin, but I always assumed (ahem) that
Forochel was a combo of For (North) and Kel (ice) and when you put
them together they become Forochel due to some concatenation of sounds
or "insert miracle here,"and get the meaning of North Ice. I could be
way off base, but that is what I always thought it was.
The Sindarin name for the Weather Hills, AKA Weathertop, is Amon Sul,
which means Hill of Wind.
Daer means shadow, so Lond Daer is Shadow Haven.
Sorry I can't help with the rest of it.

Firiel

Kris Kowal

Apr 13, 2010, 7:07:02 PM4/13/10
to elv...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Fïriel <lsgall...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kris.
>
> I am not knowledgable about Sindarin, but I always assumed (ahem) that
> Forochel was a combo of For (North) and Kel (ice) and when you put
> them together they become Forochel due to some concatenation of sounds
> or "insert miracle here,"and get the meaning of North Ice. I could be
> way off base, but that is what I always thought it was.
> The Sindarin name for the Weather Hills, AKA Weathertop, is Amon Sul,
> which means Hill of Wind.
> Daer means shadow, so Lond Daer is Shadow Haven.
> Sorry I can't help with the rest of it.

Awesome, thanks! I'll update my spreadsheet.

Kris