Another request for help on lesson 10

Firiel

Jun 28, 2006, 5:59:38 PM6/28/06
to elvish
These are the exercises from Council of Elrond, lesson 10, part 2.
Before I post them there, would someone please let me know if you see
any glaring errors?

Question: Translate 1-4 into English and 5-8 into Quenya. Remember to
pluralize adjectives and verbs where needed!

Task:
1. Mellentë márë parmar. They loved good books.
2. Rato hiruvalyet ar hlaruvalyet. Soon you will find them and you
will hear them.
3. I melda heru umë merë macitat. The beloved lord did not want
them killed.
4. Ecénien laurië falassi ar avárienten. I have seen golden shores
and I have refused them.
5. I have forsaken the fair country forever, said the prince coldly.
"Ehehtien i vamina nórë oialë" quétina i cundu riangavë.
6. A spoken word will die; a written word is like silver. Quétina
quetta firuva; técina quetta na ve telpë. (True!)
7. The six abandoned husbands laboured swiftly. I enquë hehtainë
verni motaner lintavë.
8. The wives did not wish to find them soon. I vessi úmin merna
hirente rato.

Thank you!

Arathulion

Jul 19, 2006, 10:50:34 AM7/19/06
to elvish

Firiel wrote:
> These are the exercises from Council of Elrond, lesson 10, part 2.
> Before I post them there, would someone please let me know if you see
> any glaring errors?

So:

>3. I melda heru umë merë macitat. The beloved lord did not want
>them killed.

"The beloved lord do not want them killed"

> 4. Ecénien laurië falassi ar avárienten. I have seen golden shores
> and I have refused them.

It should be: "I have seen golden shores and they have refused me."

> 5. I have forsaken the fair country forever, said the prince coldly.
> "Ehehtien i vamina nórë oialë" quétina i cundu riangavë.

Correctly would be: ""Ehehtien i vamina nórë oialë" quentë i cundu
ringavë."

> 6. A spoken word will die; a written word is like silver. Quétina
> quetta firuva; técina quetta na ve telpë. (True!)

Only one correction: 'ná' not 'na' ;)

> 8. The wives did not wish to find them soon. I vessi úmin merna
> hirente rato.

Should be: "I vessi úmer merë hirien të rato."

> Thank you!
No problem ;)

Arathulion

Jul 20, 2006, 7:37:11 AM7/20/06
to elvish
Firiel wrote:
> These are the exercises from Council of Elrond, lesson 10, part 2.
> Before I post them there, would someone please let me know if you see
> any glaring errors?
Ok.

> Question: Translate 1-4 into English and 5-8 into Quenya. Remember to
> pluralize adjectives and verbs where needed!
>
> Task:
> 1. Mellentë márë parmar. They loved good books.

Good.

> 2. Rato hiruvalyet ar hlaruvalyet. Soon you will find them and you
> will hear them.

Good :)

> 3. I melda heru umë merë macitat. The beloved lord did not want
> them killed.

Correct.

> 4. Ecénien laurië falassi ar avárienten. I have seen golden shores
> and I have refused them.

It should be: "I have seen golden shores and they have refused me."

> 5. I have forsaken the fair country forever, said the prince coldly.
> "Ehehtien i vamina nórë oialë" quétina i cundu riangavë.

""Ehehtien i vanima nórë oialë" quentë i cundu ringavë."
"Quétina" is a past participle, not past tense form of "to say".

> 6. A spoken word will die; a written word is like silver. Quétina
> quetta firuva; técina quetta na ve telpë. (True!)

Only one correction: should be "ná", not "na" ;)

> 7. The six abandoned husbands laboured swiftly. I enquë hehtainë
> verni motaner lintavë.

Good.

> 8. The wives did not wish to find them soon. I vessi úmin merna
> hirente rato.

Firiel

Jul 20, 2006, 4:45:22 PM7/20/06
to elvish
Thank you for your reply. It is very helpful.
I don't remember seeing a post from you here before. Are you a newbie
or have I just missed your posts?
Welcome!

Arathulion

Jul 21, 2006, 8:04:54 AM7/21/06
to elvish
First - sorry for posting twice this same message.
And yes, I am a newbie in this group :) I hope that spent time here
won't be lost time :)

Entecienna! :)