elvish word

jimandta...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2007, 10:15:54 PM10/5/07
to elvish
wondering if anyone knows the elvish word for fragrance....can't seem
to find it anywhere. thanx.

Firiel

Oct 6, 2007, 11:06:12 AM10/6/07
to elvish
Hmmm. The best I can come up with is odor: olmë. Not very satisfying,
I guess. Have you tried looking for other cognates of the word
fragrance to see if any of them would suffice?

Kris Kowal

Oct 6, 2007, 1:08:29 PM10/6/07
to elv...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that we can assume that "odor" and "fragrence" are
necessarily distinct words in Quenya, since not every language divides
words on the same boundaries of connotation. I think /olomë/ should
suffice nicely.

--
Kris Kowal

Brandon Stewart

Oct 7, 2007, 6:13:33 PM10/7/07
to elv...@googlegroups.com
Quite right. For example, in Spanish, the word "sensible" means "sensitive," and "sensitivo" means "sensible." Connotation COMPLETELY reversed. Hehheehe.
--
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.

                            ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

thebro...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2007, 2:55:25 PM10/11/07
to elvish
hmmm....good input. thanks for the help. olome will work perfectly.
again thanks for the help!

On Oct 7, 5:13 pm, "Brandon Stewart" <brandondstew...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Quite right. For example, in Spanish, the word "sensible" means "sensitive,"
> and "sensitivo" means "sensible." Connotation COMPLETELY reversed. Hehheehe.
>

> On 10/6/07, Kris Kowal <kris.ko...@cixar.com> wrote:
>

> > I don't think that we can assume that "odor" and "fragrence" are
> > necessarily distinct words in Quenya, since not every language divides
> > words on the same boundaries of connotation. I think /olomë/ should
> > suffice nicely.

Firiel

Oct 12, 2007, 7:28:12 AM10/12/07
to elvish
I think the word for odor is olme not olome. Sorry, the accents aren't
working on the PC that I am using. There is an umlat over the e.
Please correct me if I am in error.