ELTON JOHN RAISESW 2.5 MILLION DOLLARS FOR CLINTON

Robson Vianna

Apr 10, 2008, 10:44:42 AM4/10/08
to eltonjohns...@yahoogrupos.com.br, eltonjohncorporat...@yahoogroups.com, eltonjohncorporat...@yahoogroups.com, eltonjohns...@googlegroups.com

April 9, 2008
Sir Elton and Democratic Friends
Mike Segar/Reuters

Singer Elton John greets Senator Hillary Clinton and former President Bill Clinton as he takes the stage before performing a concert benefiting her campaign

McCain, Obama and Clinton on American Idol. Elton John concert tonight for Clinton.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/04/mccain_obama_and_clinton_on_am.html

MALVERN, PA.—Why? Because that's where the voters are. The three presidential contenders all appear on taped segments of American Idol on Wednesday night as part of the "give back" programming for the hit show.

Sen. John McCain (R-Az.) taped his segment last Monday from Kansas City, Mo. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) taped her stuff last week while in Los Angeles, on the same day she did Leno. On the show business beat….Elton John performs tonight at a Clinton fund-raiser in New York.

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) taped his bit last week from Harrisburg, Pa., noting his two daughters are big fans.

Here's what Obama will say tonight:

Hello everybody. I'd like to say a few words not just as the father of
two young girls who are big American Idol fans, but as someone who cares
deeply about what tonight's show is all about. Whether it's across the
street or around the world, Idol Gives Back is proving that when
ordinary people come together, they can do extraordinary things.

So I want to commend American Idol for the example they're setting and the
work they're doing. And I hope that everyone who's watching will make a
contribution to Idol Gives Back, and help make this world a more just,
more equal, and more hopeful place to live.

I asked Obama strategist David Axelrod what the appeal of American Idol was to the contenders: Said Axelrod, "American Idol is where tens of millions of Americans gather."

CHAD DUNDAS: Adams Center hosts different kind of spectacle

The largest crowd to gather at the University of Montana's Adams Center since the downsized arena reopened in 1999 didn't come for the basketball. Nor did it come to hear a jingoistic country-singing superstar like Toby Keith or the antics of the Harlem Globetrotters or even to see Sir Elton John rock "Rocket Man."

Instead, Missoula turned out in near-record numbers at its largest indoor venue to listen to a guy talk politics.

BY GLENN THRUSH | glenn....@newsday.com
April 10, 2008

A bitter Sir Elton John thinks America's sexism may be sinking his friend Hillary Rodham Clinton.

John, a knighted British subject, said that gender discrimination is behind Clinton's problems in the polls as he addressed 5,000 Clinton supporters at Radio City Musical Hall last night in an event that raised $2.5 million for the cash-strapped campaign.

"I never cease to be amazed by the misogynistic attitudes of some people in this country," said John, wearing a spangled black evening coat over a vermilion silk shirt. "I say to hell with them. ... I love you, Hillary, I'll always be there for you."

John's comments echo the former first lady's remarks to National Public Radio Tuesday, when she said there was "a double standard" in media coverage of the race.

Related links

  • Hillary Clinton's race for the White House Video

  • Elton John at Clinton fundraiser Elton John at Clinton fundraiser Photo

    Minutes before Elton John took the stage, Bill Clinton struck an equally defiant tone, chiding TV commentators who are counting out his wife because she trails Barack Obama in delegates and the popular vote.

    "You did not come here in vain," he said, flanked by his wife and daughter, Chelsea. "She can win the nomination and if she wins the nomination, she'll win the general election."

    Clinton's campaign raised about $20 million in March -- about half of Obama's monthly haul. Supporters, who snaked around the historic theater for hours before the event, paid between $125 and $2,300 to hear the singer-songwriter perform hits like "Rocket Man" and "Your Song."

    John, who appeared somber, also railed against Ronald Reagan for his slow response to the AIDS crisis in the 1980s. In October, Elvis Costello -- another Brit -- headlined Clinton's 60th birthday fundraiser at Manhattan's Beacon Theater.

    Clinton spent the first part of her day in Pennsylvania, reiterating her opposition to the Colombia free trade agreement after the revelation that her husband backs the pact -- and was paid $800,000 by free trade advocates to give speeches in the country.

    "I have a long record of being on a different attitude toward trade than my husband does," Clinton told reporters in Aliquippa, in one of the rare instances of public disagreement between the couple. "I don't think any married couple I know agrees on everything, and we disagree on this."

    Free trade is a critical issue in Pennsylvania, a state that has seen many of its manufacturing jobs migrate overseas since the 1970s. Clinton says she raised concerns about the North American Free Trade Agreement passed by her husband despite publicly supporting the increasingly unpopular pact.

    "The Colombia free trade deal, in my view, is not appropriate because of the history of suppression and targeted killings of labor organizers in Colombia," she added. "There is an argument that there has been some improvement and change by the Colombian government, but it is not enough for me."

    The former president, appearing at a Manhattan steakhouse before the fundraiser celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Northern Irish peace accord, refused to answer reporters' questions about the topic.

    "I'm here for the Irish," said Clinton, when asked about his position on the deal. His face reddened when a journalist asked if he regretted taking the money in Colombia.

    "Nice try," he said, walking away.

    This story was supplemented with wire reports.

John raises $2.5 million for Clinton

By CHARLES BABINGTON Associated Press Writer
Article Launched: 04/09/2008 06:44:45 PM PDT

NEW YORK—Experience is central to Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential bid, and Wednesday night she tapped one of pop music's most venerable rockers to help fill her campaign coffers with $2.5 million. Elton John, who has sold records and filled arenas for four decades, played a benefit concert for Clinton at Radio City Music Hall.

"I've always been a Hillary supporter," John, 61, said before launching into his 1970 breakthrough hits, "Your Song" and "Border Song." "There is no one more qualified to lead America."

The English singer, composer and pianist added: "I'm amazed by the misogynistic attitudes of some of the people in this country. And I say to hell with them .... I love you Hillary, I'll be there for you."

The cheapest tickets, $125 and $250, sold out quickly, campaign aides said. The other seats were filled by fans paying as much as $2,300, the limit for an individual's contribution to a federal candidate.

Preceding John on stage were Clinton, her husband, former President Clinton, and their daughter, Chelsea.

Hillary Clinton struck a defiant, underdog note in describing her battle against Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois.

"What I want you to know is I'm still standing, and I believe this country is worth fighting for," the New York senator said, playing off the title of one of John's hits. "So we're taking our campaign to Pennsylvania and all the states that haven't voted." Pennsylvania votes April 22.

The Clintons have hobnobbed with Hollywood and music industry figures for years. In 1998, John performed at a White House State Dinner the couple hosted for then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Last October, Clinton celebrated her 60th birthday with a fundraiser at New York's Beacon Theater that featured actor Billy Crystal and musicians Elvis Costello and the Wallflowers. It netted more than $1.5 million for her presidential effort.

http://origin.mercurynews.com/elections/ci_8869368?nclick_check=1

 video elton john:

Elton John raises 2.5 million dollars for Clinton

Apr 10 2008 2:13AM

Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) Democrat Hillary Clinton's campaign coffers are two and-a-half million dollars richer, thanks to one of pop music's most venerable artists.

Elton John played a benefit concert for Clinton at New York's Radio City Music Hall last night.

The English singer, composer and pianist sang Clinton's praises before he sang his 1970 breakthrough hits "Your Song" and "Border Song." He declared, "There is no one more qualified to lead America." Campaign aides say the cheapest tickets went for $125 and $250 and sold out quickly. The other seats were filled by fans paying as much as $2,300, the limit for an individual's contribution to a federal candidate.

Preceding John on stage were Clinton, her husband, former President Bill Clinton, and their daughter, Chelsea.

Hillary Clinton struck a defiant, underdog note in describing her battle against Barack Obama, saying that, like the title of one of John's songs, she's "still standing."

Clinton supporter Elton John laments U.S. misogyny

Wed Apr 9, 2008 11:00pm EDT

[-] Text [+]

NEW YORK (Reuters) - British pop star Elton John, playing a fund-raiser for Hillary Clinton in New York on Wednesday, said he was amazed at the misogyny of some in America and he hoped that wouldn't stop her being president.

At the fund-raiser which Clinton's campaign manager said raised $2.5 million, John said there was no one more qualified to lead the United States into the next era.

"Having said that, I never cease to be amazed at the misogynistic attitude of some people in this country. And I say to hell with them," he said, drawing cheers from the crowd at Radio City Music Hall in Manhattan.

"The reason I'm here tonight is to play music, but more importantly as someone who comes from abroad, and is in America quite a lot of the time (and) is extremely interested in the political process because it effects the whole world."

"I've always been a Hillary supporter," he said.

Introducing him, Clinton recalled that the entertainer had played at the White House at a state dinner when her husband Bill Clinton was president.

The New York senator, who is trailing Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, vowed to take her battle for the Democratic nomination to the end of the primary process, saying all the states should have their say.

Clinton said she couldn't sing but "What I want you to know is 'I'm still standing,'" -- echoing the title of an Elton John song.

John opened his set with the track "Your Song," dwelling on the line "How wonderful life is when you're in the world." Other hits he sang included "Daniel" and "Rocket Man."

(Reporting by Claudia Parsons, editing by Todd Eastham)

© Reuters 2008 All rights reserved

John Raises $2.5 Million for Clinton

By CHARLES BABINGTON – 12 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Experience is central to Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential bid, and Wednesday night she tapped one of pop music's most venerable rockers to help fill her campaign coffers with $2.5 million. Elton John, who has sold records and filled arenas for four decades, played a benefit concert for Clinton at Radio City Music Hall.

[...]

Elton John Radio City fund-raiser earns Hillary Clinton $2.5M

BY JO PIAZZA
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Updated Thursday, April 10th 2008, 2:19 AM

Hillary Clinton gets close and personal with singer Elton John. Click image to see photo gallery of 'Elton-Hillary: One Night Only' at Radio City Music Hall. Theodorakis for News

Hillary Clinton gets close and personal with singer Elton John. Click image to see photo gallery of 'Elton-Hillary: One Night Only' at Radio City Music Hall.

Elton John used Hillary Clinton's $2.5 million fund-raiser at Radio City Music Hall Wednesday night to stand up for women's rights.

"I never cease to be amazed at the misogynistic attitude of some of the people of this country, and I say to hell with it," said John, clad in a sequined black dinner jacket, red silk shirt and red sunglasses. "I love you, Hillary, and I'll be there for you just like all the times you were there for me. Hillary should be the next President of America."

The concert, billed as "Elton-Hillary: One Night Only" sold out just this week, with 6,000 tickets ranging in price from $125 to $2,300, according to a spokesman for the Clinton campaign.

Clinton introduced John as "a friend of Bill's and mine for many years," and recalled how moved she was when she heard him perform "Candle in the Wind" at Princess Diana's funeral.

Before leaving the stage, the Democratic presidential hopeful also thanked John's longtime partner, David Furnish, "for his support and his efforts on behalf of so many causes. And I think all of us can conclude the answer to the following question, 'Can you feel the love tonight?' "

To close her remarks, she riffed on yet another John song.

"What I want you to know is, I'm still standing," she said.

Clinton has trotted out musicians before. She got '90s band Big Head Todd and the Monsters to stump with her and play one of her campaign songs, "Blue Sky."

And rock legend Elvis Costello serenaded her last October for her 60th birthday bash at the Beacon Theatre.

But John is by far the biggest celeb Clinton has rolled out for a cash bash. Wednesday night he played for nearly two hours, performing hits including "Daniel," "Rocket Man," "Tiny Dancer" and "Candle in the Wind."

While Sir Elton provided star wattage on the stage, the audience was noticeably short of boldfaced names, with the exception of tennis great Billie Jean King.

John has long been a Democratic supporter.

In 2000, he helped Al Gore raise money with a concert where he declared, "I think you're going to win it, baby."

jpi...@nydailynews.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2008/04/09/2008-04-09_elton_john_radio_city_fundraiser_earns_h.html

The Grosby Group

Pink: Gwyneth Paltrow e Hurley em festa de campanha

Da Redação

The Grosby Group
Gwyneth Paltrow e Elizabeth Hurley atraíram os olhares da imprensa internacional, nesta terça-feira, dia 8. As duas compareceram belamente vestidas a um evento de uma fundação contra o câncer de mama, em Nova Iorque.

A festa foi apelidada de "celebração do rosa" – e contou com todas as mulheres vestidas na tonalidade mais feminina da aquarela. Já os homens compareceram trajados em smokings básicos, mesmo.

Elton John
foi a grande apresentação da noite. O músico aproveitou a ocasião para fazer uma homenagem a sua amiga Linda Stein, que morreu em outubro do ano passado.

http://estrelando.uol.com.br/interna/interna_27221.htm

Tamanho de letra padrãoAumenta tamanho da letra
Brasil

08/04/2008 10h31m

Luxo e polêmica marcam casamento homossexual em São Paulo

Um casamento gay calculado em R$ 500 mil está causando o maior burburinho em São Paulo. Se tudo der certo, o jornalista Felipeh Campos, 34 anos, e o produtor de moda Rafael Scapucim, 26, vão celebrar a união em uma grande festa para 600 convidados marcada para quinta-feira.

O evento será numa das casas mais requintadas da cidade, o Espaço Ônix. Os convites estão disputadíssimos. Na lista de convidados, há políticos, empresários da mídia, artistas e até celebridades instantâneas, como ex-big brothers. "Se o Elton John pode, por que não podemos?", questionam os noivos.

Felipeh e Rafael garantem que será o primeiro casamento gay do Brasil com ritual tradicional. Haverá o tradicional bolo branco, mas sem a bonequinha da noiva. "Como são dois homens se casando, optamos por colocar no alto do bolo dois bonecos de noivos", conta Felipeh — que foi um dos dubladores de rosto pintado da nova versão do programa Qual é a música?, apresentado por Silvio Santos, no SBT.

Os dois estarão vestidos com bata branca. Como brinde, o futuro casal distribuirá "pílulas do amor", um doce de chocolate que, segundo eles, é afrodisíaco.

A festa é patrocinada por um grupo de empresários que pediu anonimato. Para dar visibilidade à cerimônia, os noivos convidaram o prefeito de São Paulo, Gilberto Kassab (DEM), a ministra do Turismo, Marta Suplicy, e o governador do Rio de Janeiro, Sérgio Cabral (PMDB) — único que confirmou presença até agora. "Fazemos questão da presença de Marta Suplicy por ela ser pioneira no projeto de união civil de pessoas do mesmo sexo no Brasil. Se ela não vier, ficaremos decepcionados", avisa Felipeh.

http://www.emtemporeal.com.br/index.asp?area=2&dia=08&mes=04&ano=2008&idnoticia=49506

Pelean Obama y Clinton dlar por dlar
Diario La Estrella - Dallas,TX,USA
"¿Quieres acompañarnos, a mi mamá ya mí, al concierto de Elton John?", preguntaba Chelsea Clinton en un e-mail enviado hace dos semanas a potenciales ...
Ver todos los artículos sobre este tema

Pamela Anderson retoca el sex appeal y vuelve a la tv
El Universal (México) - Distrito Federal,Mexico
En diciembre de 2005, NBC censuró un video de Anderson bailando en el tubo sin sostén en "The Red Piano" de Elton John. ...
Ver todos los artículos sobre este tema

Gwyneth Paltrow y Liz Hurley tiñen de rosa Nueva York
Hola - Spain
Gwyneth Paltrow, Elton John y Liz Hurley, en la gala celebrada en Nueva York. Pulse en la imagen para ver más fotografías de la fiesta. ...
Ver todos los artículos sobre este tema

ROD STEWART: Rocker, crooner y aún sexy
10Música.com - Argentina
Antes de ello, participó junto a la Orquesta Sinfónica de Londres y personalidades como Tina Turner, Elton John, Pete Townshend y Roger Daltrey de la ...
Ver todos los artículos sobre este tema

Pamela Anderson aime la magie... de l'amour
News de stars - Lille,Nord,France
La très pulpeuse Pamela Anderson aurait été aperçue en compagnie du magicien Criss Angel durant la fête d'anniversaire d'Elton John samedi dernier (5 avril) ...
Afficher tous les articles sur ce sujet

Richard Ruben déballe tout au profit des enfants malades
Quefaire.be - Belgium
... sa grand-mère égyptienne, un attaché de presse encombrant, un cousin new-yorkais saoulant, un Gonzague délirant, un Elton John pianotant...
Afficher tous les articles sur ce sujet

Pamela Anderson craque pour un magicien
Adocity - France
Au cour d'un concert donné par Elton John à Washington Samedi dernier, la blonde aurait craqué pour un mec. Le mec en question est tout simplement un ...
Afficher tous les articles sur ce sujet

Pamela Anderson
Voici - Paris,France
C'est au cours du concert d'Elton John à Washington samedi dernier que le couple se serait formé.... ou plutôt "reformé" car Pam et Criss ont déjà fricotté ...
Afficher tous les articles sur ce sujet

elton john et sharon stone : copains de dior
Musique rai - Kénitra,Algeria
a chaque evenement organise par la maison dior sharon stone et elton john sont surs de se croiser. rien d'etonnant donc a ce que le chanteur interprete ...
Afficher tous les articles sur ce sujet

Pamela Anderson avec Criss Angel ?
Teemix - Paris,France
Tous deux ont en effet été aperçus très proches lors de l'anniversaire d'Elton John il ya quelques jours. «Ils étaient en train de danser. ...
Afficher tous les articles sur ce sujet

--
Robson Vianna.
09elton-650.jpg