Elmah YSOD: The given assembly name or codebase was invalid (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131074)

Chris Van Oort

Apr 11, 2018, 1:45:53 PM4/11/18
to ELMAH

Hi there,

I'm running Elmah with packages from Nuget in an ASP.NET MVC app targeting .NET 4.6.2

  • elmah v1.2.2
  • Elmah.Contrib.WebApi v1.0.10.25
  • elmah.corelibrary v1.2.2

When I navigate to ~/elmah.axd I encounter a YSOD (yellow screen of death) instead of the usual elmah page loading:

Server Error in '/' Application.
The given assembly name or codebase was invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131047)

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: The given assembly name or codebase was invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131047)

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[FileLoadException: The given assembly name or codebase was invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131047)]
   System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMarkHandle stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName, ObjectHandleOnStack type) +0
   System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName) +70
   System.RuntimeType.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark) +40
   System.Type.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError) +34
   Elmah.SimpleServiceProviderFactory.CreateFromConfigSection(String sectionName) +162
   Elmah.ErrorLog.GetDefaultImpl(HttpContext context) +134
   Elmah.ServiceContainer.GetService(Type serviceType) +49
   Elmah.ServiceCenter.FindService(Object context, Type serviceType) +25
   Elmah.ServiceCenter.GetService(Object context, Type serviceType) +31
   Elmah.ErrorLog.GetDefault(HttpContext context) +22
   Elmah.ErrorPageBase.get_ErrorLog() +32
   Elmah.ErrorLogPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +308
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2839

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.7.2633.0

It's working in our master branch of our project, but my branch (where I've been updating Nuget packages) is running into issues. I've confirmed:

  • Web.config, and the csproj file entries for Elmah are exactly the same as the master branch
  • the csproj references to the DLL's match up properly
  • the dll's exist on disk and are making it to the proper bin folder for the project

Any ideas how I can solve this?

Best,
Chris

Chris Van Oort