Primary Key

Amanda Denning

Aug 12, 2019, 11:59:09 AM8/12/19
to ELMAH
I have tried running searches about this topic and haven't found anything yet.  Just wondering if there was a specific reason why there isn't a clustered index in the script to set up ELMAH_Error?  We were running some various scripts when an auditor came in and he asked why we didn't set up a clustered index.

Thank you

Atif Aziz

Aug 12, 2019, 2:24:00 PM8/12/19
to el...@googlegroups.com
It's not set up as a clustered index because the ErrorId is a GUID that's generated via NEWID() and clustered indexes perform best when the primary key is sequential in nature.

I would recommend searching for “sql server uniqueidentifier clustered index” and reading a few articles to understand the choices and performance impacts.

- Atif