Expanding competence

David Legard

Nov 7, 2017, 6:54:35 PM11/7/17
to Elm Discuss
I have been working with Elm regularly since about 0.13, so I'm fairly competent up to and including JSON, Cmd, Sub, JS interop and topics like that. I have built some fairly detailed apps with those technologies included. I focus on educational software.

What are the minimum extra skills I need to learn to create true multi-user apps, with log-in forms, authentication, and personalised student learning records?

Does this require a considerable leap in what I have to know, or are there relatively painless ways of getting to this next level?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Damoc

Nov 8, 2017, 12:46:14 AM11/8/17
to Elm Discuss
Hi David,

I  think you already know everything you need to know.
Just attempt to do it and if you get into trouble the community will assist you.

For a multi-user app you also need a backend and since Elm does not have an official backend story, you will need to switch to another language.
I highly recommend the RealWorld/Conduit project.
https://github.com/gothinkster/realworld

You have there examples from a lot of languages for both the backend and the frontend.
The Elm frontend example is the best guide for implementing a full SPA in Elm.

There is NO FATE, we are the creators.
blog: http://damoc.ro/

David Legard

Nov 8, 2017, 1:18:39 AM11/8/17
to Elm Discuss
Many thanks for that recommendation.

Yes, it is the back-end part that I was concerned about.

Rupert Smith

Nov 9, 2017, 7:41:21 AM11/9/17
to Elm Discuss
On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 6:18:39 AM UTC, David Legard wrote:
Many thanks for that recommendation.

Yes, it is the back-end part that I was concerned about.

Try this, makes it easy to get started with Elm on AWS, and it can run locally too: