What build system do you prefer for Elm?

Rupert Smith

Oct 31, 2017, 10:18:02 AM10/31/17
to Elm Discuss
I've been using grunt up until now. Looking into webpack at the moment as a few github projects I've been looking at use it.

Anyone got any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of the various possibility wrt Elm?

Peter Damoc

Oct 31, 2017, 10:38:30 AM10/31/17
to Elm Discuss
Consider using npm as a build system
https://css-tricks.com/why-npm-scripts/

The main advantage is that you can control everything easier.
The main disadvantage I guess is that it might get complicated for complex scenarios.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 4:18 PM, 'Rupert Smith' via Elm Discuss <elm-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I've been using grunt up until now. Looking into webpack at the moment as a few github projects I've been looking at use it.

Anyone got any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of the various possibility wrt Elm?

There is NO FATE, we are the creators.
blog: http://damoc.ro/

Dustin Farris

Oct 31, 2017, 6:54:16 PM10/31/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been using broccoli for 8 months now and very happy.

Here’s a plugin I made for elm: https://github.com/dustinfarris/broccoli-elm-make

If you end up trying it I’d love your feedback!

On Oct 31, 2017, at 10:18 AM, 'Rupert Smith' via Elm Discuss <elm-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I've been using grunt up until now. Looking into webpack at the moment as a few github projects I've been looking at use it.

Anyone got any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of the various possibility wrt Elm?

Zachary Kessin

Nov 1, 2017, 2:15:48 AM11/1/17
to elm-discuss
I generally just use GNU Make, I also use it to kick off other builds in the project so that works well.

Zach

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:53 AM, Dustin Farris <dustin...@gmail.com> wrote:
I’ve been using broccoli for 8 months now and very happy.

Here’s a plugin I made for elm: https://github.com/dustinfarris/broccoli-elm-make

If you end up trying it I’d love your feedback!
On Oct 31, 2017, at 10:18 AM, 'Rupert Smith' via Elm Discuss <elm-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I've been using grunt up until now. Looking into webpack at the moment as a few github projects I've been looking at use it.

Anyone got any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of the various possibility wrt Elm?

Zach Kessin
Reduce project risk with training in Elm For web teams
Skype: zachkessin

Pavan Rikhi

Nov 4, 2017, 5:46:29 PM11/4/17
to Elm Discuss

Simon

Nov 5, 2017, 3:19:37 AM11/5/17
to Elm Discuss
I use my own starter, which includes hot reloading: https://github.com/simonh1000/elm-webpack-starter

Rupert Smith

Nov 7, 2017, 12:18:27 PM11/7/17
to Elm Discuss
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 8:19:37 AM UTC, Simon wrote:
I use my own starter, which includes hot reloading: https://github.com/simonh1000/elm-webpack-starter

I'm intrigued to try hot reloading. Does it only work if you don't change the type of the Model?

Simon

Nov 7, 2017, 2:24:37 PM11/7/17
to Elm Discuss
no you can change anything - it also does some reloading of ports as well I think
it is the O N L Y way to code :-)

Costantino Giuliodori

Nov 8, 2017, 8:58:08 AM11/8/17
to Elm Discuss
I start simple by using entr (http://entrproject.org), than npm scripts

Tommy Messbauer

Nov 17, 2017, 10:19:55 AM11/17/17
to Elm Discuss
I use webpack 3. I made a component starter for webpack and then included it in an app starter. App starter included below and it uses elm-github-install b/c I need to include shared code from private repos. You might just want the webpack config.

Advantages: webpack can be a nightmare, but this is a pretty simple setup. hot reloading for development.
Disadvantages: webpack can be a pain to config.

We have multiple Elm apps in production. I've been really happy with this setup.

https://github.com/tommymessbauer/elm-app