JS typed array implementation for elm

Matthieu Pizenberg

Nov 27, 2017, 5:50:21 AM11/27/17
to Elm Discuss

Hi everyone,

Following some discussions, including those recent two [1,2] about scientific computing, it would be interesting to see what we could achieve in elm using as few JS as possible. In this "few", it seems that having access to JS typed arrays, for multi-dimensional matrices manipulations would help a lot.

So I've started an experimentation to wrap those typed array in an elm package, elm-js-typed-array [3]. For now I've only created the base type JsArrayBuffer (wrapping ArrayBuffer) and some tests. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated before continuing the wrapping.

[1] The NumPy for Elm: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/elm-discuss/d2RKA4rwcH0/discussion
[2] Array map with start and end: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/elm-discuss/5K8dAqZiPkU/discussion
[3] elm-js-typed-array: https://github.com/mpizenberg/elm-js-typed-array

Francisco Ramos

Nov 27, 2017, 6:10:13 AM11/27/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
That's great!!

Watching the project. Let me know if you need some help with this, or somehow I can contribute with it. Being using TypedArrays for a while already, and in my opinion they are the most thriving way to achieve the best performance in a N-dimensional array implementation, and ultimately Machine/Deep Learning algorithms, which is my main goal.

Fran

Matthieu Pizenberg

Nov 28, 2017, 4:04:43 AM11/28/17
to Elm Discuss
I've started API design thinking in this issue [1]. Say hello there if you'd like to participate, any help appreciated :)

[1] Github issue: https://github.com/mpizenberg/elm-js-typed-array/issues/1