Status Update - 22 June 2018

Evan Czaplicki

Jun 22, 2018, 9:06:45 PM6/22/18
to elm-dev
LIST ONLY - not for sharing on HN, reddit, slack, twitter, etc.

Thanks everyone for the feedback in #elm-dev so far! I've been really happy with how things are going :)

There was a surprise difficult question about what kinds of programs can manage the URL. I described that here, and it motivated some changes.

Changes

elm/browser
  • Browser.application requires onUrlRequest so you can decide what to do when someone clicks <a> very easily.
  • Browser.Dom lets you get and set scroll position in a nice way / lets you ask for dimensions
  • Browser.Events gives structured access to global events
elm.json handles application dependencies in a way that’ll work better for elm-test. Described the new format here.

elm init just makes elm.json files now. Folks should `git clone` projects they like if they want something more advanced. (I think complex initialization on the command line lacks the scaffolding to teach concepts, and I do not think they are the ideal path for setting up projects, so I want to stay out of that.)

Cut built-in bash completion for now. I talked with folks who use `zsh` and `fish`, and we came up with a design that will be really nice. I don’t want to block 0.19 on that, so I’ll do it in a patch later. Should make a cool stand-alone blog post as well!

Bug fixes. Thanks again for the excellent bug reports!

Instructions

I'll share them in the #elm-dev Slack channel, where all further discussion of pre-release stuff should happen!