Seeking feedback on new elm-css docs

Richard Feldman

Nov 13, 2017, 9:42:31 PM11/13/17
to elm-dev
Hi all!

I'm working on a major revamp of elm-css and I'm looking for feedback on the new docs, especially from people who have never used elm-css before.

To view the new docs:
  1. Check out this branch
  2. Run the docs preview on it
In particular I'd like to know what questions you still have that the docs didn't answer.

Thanks!

-Richard

Brian Hicks

Nov 14, 2017, 11:12:55 AM11/14/17
to elm...@googlegroups.com
Big things:

- Html.Styled.Attributes: styled is a really complex type with no documentation. I think I see what it's doing? It's not completely clear. (my best guess: this lifts a plain html-producing function to a styled html-producing function?) But why?
- It's not clear why you need Html.Styled.{Events,Keyed,Lazy} from the docs. I assume this is because you're defining a wrapper type over regular Html?

Little things:

- Html.Styled: "This file is organized roughly in order of popularity" is followed by node, which we maybe shouldn't use so very often.
- Html.Styled: the docs for span mention adding class. This shouldn't be needed in this case, should it?
- Css: the H4s don't read as headers. I thought you didn't have headers at first! But the explanation is clear enough once I figured it out. Maybe use H3s instead?
- Css: "you'll get a build-time validation error (RGB values must be between 0 and 255) if you try to compile it to a stylesheet." Isn't this a runtime error now?
- Css: broken link to #border2

Overall:

I'm super excited to use this to make my styles go faster! This should do the right thing with eventual SSR stuff, right?

Sebastian Porto

Nov 29, 2017, 9:09:01 PM11/29/17
to elm-dev
Hi

I have been using 12 for a week, I really like Html.Styled.
Here is my feedback about the docs

  • There are lots of references to stylesheet in Css.Foreign, which is deprecated, please remove, this is confusing

  • Css.Foreign stills shows union types for classes, which I understand is deprecated

  • I find Html.Styled.Attributes.styled a bit odd, I guess is useful but why whould you use this over css?

  • Should there be Html.program and programWithFlags?

  • In http://package.elm-lang.org/packages/rtfeldman/elm-css/latest/Css batch is not clear what is for, there a are couple of uses e.g. paragraphFont, but that is not used anywhere

  • Please to show how to target descendants class

  • Is not clear how to migrate from 11 to 12, specially if you were using stylesheet, would be nice to have a small migration guide
Sebastian

Richard Feldman

Nov 29, 2017, 11:50:19 PM11/29/17
to elm-dev
Wow, thank you for the detailed feedback! This is really helpful. ❤️

I'll take a pass at revising the docs for the next release.