505 Poetry Series MONDAY

Elliot Harmon

Feb 9, 2008, 3:28:12 PM2/9/08
to elliot...@googlegroups.com
Hello, friends. I hope that you're having a wonderful 2008 so far.

I have many wonderful things to tell you about. Since this is indeed my mailing list, I'm going to pull executive privilege and say that the most exciting announcement in this email is the 505 Poetry Series, this Monday at Boxcar Playhouse. I've wanted to start a reading series ever since moving to San Francisco, and now that I have one, I'm the happiest little boy in the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IN THIS ISSUE:
(1) Tonight: Aardvark Reading
(2) Monday: 505 Poetry Series
(3) Wednesday: The Music Emily Heard
(4) Sunday: Moon News Books presents Goodwin and Steinberg
(5) Idiolexicon
(6) NOO Journal
(7) Coming in June: Elliot at the Marsh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(1) Tonight: Aardvark Reading
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My friends Elizabeth Terrazas and Myron Michael started the Aardvark reading series a few months ago, and every installment so far has been a complete joy. Tonight's reading will be hosted by Myron. Featured writers include Jack Morgan, Taelur Kim, Nadia Gori, Mike Larkin, Polly Conway, Donna de La Perriere, Gloria Frym, and Joseph Lease. If that's not enough to convince you to come, then you're a bad person.

February 9 (Tonight), 7 PM
Galeria de La Raza Gallery
24th street at S. Van Ness, SF
Minimum donation: $5

Flyer: http://graphics.idiolexicon.com/flyers/aardvark_0208.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(2) Monday: 505 Poetry Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sidecar Theatre and Idiolexicon present the 505 Poetry Series, a new monthly reading series in San Francisco. Each month, the series will feature two poets and one musician or ensemble. The Series will bring together poets and musicians who may not usually share the same stage: slam meets experimental, hip-hop meets academia. The first reading will take place on Monday, February 11, featuring poets Stephen Meads and Myron Michael, and experimental musician Cynthia Weyuker.

Myron Michael is a poet, teacher, and recording artist. Sole proprietor of Rondeau Records, his songs are featured on Songs of Experience and Masters Thesis. His words have appeared in Beeswax, Words+Images, Pluck, and Idiolexicon.
http://www.myspace.com/myronwrites

Cynthia Weyuker uses Musical Saw, Voice, and loop box as a performance medium. She was awarded "Most Unusual Performance" at the International Musical Saw Festival of 2007. She has recently performed on local radio stations KALX and KALW and at Goat Hall's Fresh Voices Festival. Other recent adventures include Larry Beau at the Dublin Fringe Festival, The Ladies Punk Rock Sextet, and Oakland-based Voxmaids.
http://www.voxmaids.com/

Stephen Meads has performed his dorky, heartfelt poems in spoken word venues throughout the United States and at multiple National Poetry Slams.
http://www.famecast.com/stephenmeads

505 Poetry Series
Second Monday of the month
Boxcar Playhouse, 505 Natoma St, SF
8 PM
Minimum donation $7

More information, as well as high-res photographs and posters: http://www.idiolexicon.com/505

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(3) Wednesday: The Music Emily Heard
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A part of Stanford's Emily Dickinson festival, this concert is going to explore Dickinson's musical life, including the hymns that became the cadences of her poetry and the popular music she wrote about in her letters.

The centerpiece of the show will be a recreation of an 1851 Jenny Lind concert, performed by Kat Cornelius. Kat is a fantastic soprano, the love of my life, and easily one of the fifteen or twenty most beautiful women I've ever met. This is going to be a very special concert.

If any San Francisco people are going to this, let me know. We can ride the train together.

Wednesday, February 13, 7:30 pm
Campbell Recital Hall, Braun Music Center, Palo Alto
FREE
More info: http://csp.stanford.edu/course/EVT195.asp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(4) Sunday: Moon News Books presents Goodwin and Steinberg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next Sunday, February 17, Caroline Goodwin and Hugh Behm-Steinberg will be reading from their new books. I'm looking forward to it.

Sunday, February 17, 5 PM
Moon News Books
315 Main St
Half Moon Bay, CA

Flyer: http://graphics.idiolexicon.com/flyers/halfmoon_0208.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(5) Idiolexicon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dude, have you guys been reading Idiolexicon? We've totally gotten our crap together and have been featuring some really superb work. The archive has gotten large enough that the website has entered good-way-to-blow-a-Saturday-morning territory.

Here are some more-or-less random examples of some of the pieces we've been featuring lately:

Stanford Chen's "Mother Tongue":
http://www.idiolexicon.com/archive/chen1.html

Sara Lihz Dobel's "Fell":
http://www.idiolexicon.com/archive/dobel1.html

Peach Friedman's "Land Park":
http://www.idiolexicon.com/archive/friedman1.html

Marisa Siegel's "The Red Button":
http://www.idiolexicon.com/archive/siegel2.html

Keep your eye on the site. There's great poetry to come, as well as a totally badass redesign in the works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(6) NOO Journal

I love Mike Young's NOO Journal so much that I might marry it instead of Kat.

The latest issue is especially good because it features a poem by me.
http://www.noojournal.com/seven.htm

(7) Coming in June: Elliot at the Marsh

On June 16 and 30, I'll be performing excerpts from my in-progress solo show at the Marsh, along with some other good people.

http://www.themarsh.org/monday.html