MAPP tonight, Idiolexicon Monday

1 view

Elliot Harmon

Jun 7, 2008, 4:21:06 PM6/7/08
to elliot...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Isn't it like the prettiest day ever right now? Don't you just want to spend it listening to some pretty poetry? Of course it is and of course you do. There's going to be a great reading tonight and an also-great reading on Monday.

I've gone a year without doing any readings at all, and now I'm reading everywhere, please forgive my apparent self-centeredness in this issue.

=========================
IN THIS ISSUE
1. MAPP TONIGHT!
2. Idiolexicon MONDAY!
3. Heliotrope NEXT FRIDAY!
4. 21 Grand, June 15
5. Elliot at Monday Night Marsh, June 16 and 30
6. Bay Area Poetry Marathon, June 28
7. Sedoka contest
8. Required reading
=========================

=========================
1. MAPP TONIGHT!
=========================
Tonight, Jack Morgan and Sara Mumolo are hosting a reading at L's Caffee at 24th and Bryant. The show will include readings by Joseph Lease, Elliot Harmon, Lorelei Lee, J.P. Lacrampe, mixes and beats by Justin Botros, and dance by Pay Per View.

It starts at 7:30.

More info: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=20500982222

=========================
2. Idiolexicon MONDAY!
=========================
The fifth Idiolexicon reading happens on Monday, June 9, with poetry be Jessica Wickens and Logan Ryan Smith, and music by VoxMaids.

All of the Idiolexicon readings have had an odd serendipity in how they've come together, and this one is no exception. We had to cover for some cancellations at the last minute, but ended up with a pairing of two of the most exciting young poets in the Bay Area, and music that will accompany them perfectly.

Once again, this reading has moved to the awesome Cafe Royale in the Tenderloin, and there's no longer a cover.

http://www.idiolexicon.com/ips/05.html
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=16687731934

=========================
3. Heliotrope NEXT FRIDAY!
=========================
Sometimes the difficulty of getting somewhere can mentally prepare you for what you'll experience there. Such is the case with Myron Michael's Heliotrope reading, which occurs at Mama Art Cafe on Mission Street, at the impossibly high number  of 4754.

Myron brings together poets with MCs and sees to it that good things happen when they're together. Check it out.

http://www.mamasf.com/music.htm
http://www.rondeaurecords.com/

=========================
4. 21 Grand, June 15
=========================
The next 21 Grand reading will feature Gina Myers and Brent Cunningham on June 15.

More info: http://www.21grand.org/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=23790361072

=========================
5. Elliot at Monday Night Marsh, June 16 and 30
=========================
This is something I've been toying with for awhile, stringing some of my poems together into a longer monologue type thing. My wife is tired of hearing it, so I thought I'd see if anyone else wants to hear it.

I'll be performing alongside Richard Stockton, Daniel Mandel, and Barbara Brewer, all of whom will probably seem more like they know what they're doing than I do. It would really make my day if some of you could make it out.

http://www.themarsh.org/monday.html

=========================
6. Bay Area Poetry Marathon, June 28
=========================
The Poetry Marathon is one of my favorite things that happens in San Francisco. Each summer, Joseph Lease and Donna de la Perriere put together four readings that bring some of the most innovative poets you've heard of together with some young poets you've never heard of. The readings are always a joy.

I'll be at the June 28 reading, along with Dodie Bellamy, Brian Teare, Truong Tran, Elizabeth Sylva, and Stanford Chen. If that list doesn't interest you, then you're a terrible person. Also, a video will be shown in memory of kari edwards.

http://www.myspace.com/bayareapoetrymarathon
http://www.thelab.org/

=========================
7. Sedoka contest
=========================
We've gotten some good entries in the Sedoka contest, but I happen to know that some of you are being lazy, so we're going to give you a few more days to enter your Sedoka. Ten winners will each get a free copy of the brand new Sorry for Snake 4. Get them in like right now.

http://trainwreckunion.blogspot.com/2008/05/s4s4-and-idiolexicon-sedoka-contest.html

=========================
8. Required reading
=========================
NOO Eight: http://www.noojournal.com/eight.htm
Sorry for Snake 4: http://trainwreckunion.blogspot.com/2008/05/sorry-for-snake-4.html

Alright, kids, that's all I've got for now. Have a great month. Sit on your front porch and drink a Fat Tire. Write the poem that you think is too dumb to actually write. I dare you.

Love,
Elliot

This newsletter is Elliot Harmon's personal fanzine of the Bay Area and
national literary and music scenes. No claims are made of completeness or
veracity. If you've received this email in error, please follow the
instructions below to have your email address removed from the list.