I'm pretty sure you want to see an opera about Star Trek.

Elliot Harmon

Apr 11, 2008, 2:34:24 AM4/11/08
to elliot...@googlegroups.com
Good people,

Welcome to the latest issue of my electronic fanzine of all things bright and beautiful. The weather is starting to make you hate yourself a little bit less, George Oppen turns 100 this month, and it's a great time for hearing people read poetry to each other.

The big news (NOT BIASED) is that this Monday, the 505 Poetry Series will feature Steven Clark's Star Trek-themed opera Amok Time, as well as readings by Daphne Gottlieb and Jack Morgan. It will be good.

IN TONIGHT'S JAM-PACKED ISSUE:
============================
(1) Rondeau Records presents Heliotrope FRIDAY
(2) Welish, Ronk, Lease ALSO FRIDAY
(3) 505 POETRY SERIES MONDAY!
(4) Horsewomen of the Apocalypse APRIL 19
(5) Eileen Myles and Michael Nicoloff at 21 Grand APRIL 20
(6) Idiolexicon
(7) Other things you should read
(8) Skip this one
============================

============================
(1) Rondeau Records presents Heliotrope FRIDAY
============================
One of my favorite poets in San Francisco is this guy named Myron Michael. His record label Rondeau Records has just started a reading series bringing together poets, MCs, and more. I went to the first one, and it was an absolute gas. I'll bet you ten bucks this will become a San Francisco institution. The next one features Jason Kolbrich, Michelle Ryan, and Sayo of Bella Bella. You should go.

April 11, 8 pm
Mama Art Cafe, 4754 Mission St, SF
mamasf.com
rondeaurecords.com
Flyer: http://graphics.idiolexicon.com/flyers/heliotrope2.jpg

============================
(2) Welish, Ronk, Lease ALSO FRIDAY
============================
It's the worst when awesome people have things on the same night as each other. But anyway, Moe's in Berkeley will be featuring three Coffee House Press poets tomorrow night: Marjorie Welish, Martha Ronk, and Joseph Lease. I won't insult your intelligence by telling you who those people are. This reading sells itself.

April 11, 7:30 PM
Moe's Books
2476 Telegraph Ave, Berkeley
moesbooks.com

============================
(3) 505 POETRY SERIES MONDAY!
============================
Okay, so if you missed Kenneth Goldsmith, Denise Newman, and Mark Alburger last month, then you're a terrible person and I hate you (spoiler: I don't really hate you). But one way you could begin to make it up is to come to the next 505 reading this Monday, featuring Daphne Gottlieb, Jack Morgan, and an opera by Steven Clark.

Daphne is a San Francisco icon, and seeing her read is always a great experience. Jack is the editor of Sorry for Snake, and author of several very good chapbooks.

But it's this opera Amok Time that I'm super giddy about. Steven recreated an entire episode of Star Trek in operatic form. The singers sing their corresponding characters' lines as you watch the episode projected on a screen, and it's a hoot. Amok Time has been going around on YouTube for quite some time, but this will only be the second time the opera has been performed live.

Monday, April 14, 2008
Boxcar Playhouse, 505 Natoma St, SF
8 PM, $7
More info, and flyers and photos and videos: http://www.idiolexicon.com/505

You can even tell your friends on Facebook that you're going, if you're into that sort of thing:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=9711932767

============================
(4) Horsewomen of the Apocalypse APRIL 19
============================
If you live in the Bay Area and don't yet know about Goat Hall Productions, you're missing out on one of the best things about this place. Goat Hall stages dynamic productions of work by some of the most innovative, daring vocal composers on the West Coast.

A great time to familiarize yourself with Goat Hall's cast of misfits would be April 19, for the second episode of their concert series Horsewomen of the Apocalypse. This show will feature work by Mark Alburger, Benjamin Britten, Allan Crossman, Sheli Nan, John Partridge, Zach Watkins, Judith Weir, and Weill/Brecht.

Saturday, April 19, 8 PM
St Gregory's Church, 500 De Haro St, SF
$20 admission
goathall.org

============================
(5) Eileen Myles and Michael Nicoloff at 21 Grand APRIL 20
============================
From the ashes of the dead phoenix of the New Yipes reading have arisen the not-dead phoenix of the New 21 Grand Reading. The next reading, on Sunday, April 20, will feature Eileen Myles and Michael Nicoloff.

Sunday April 20, 6:30 PM
21 Grand Gallery, 416 25th St, Oakland
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=12176830663

============================
(6) Idiolexicon
============================
Idiolexicon is coming back next month with an all-new format that will completely render all other poetry websites irrelevant.

http://www.idiolexicon.com/

============================
(7) Other things you should read
(NOT A COMPLETE LIST)
============================
NOO Seven:
http://www.noojournal.com/seven.htm

DIAGRAM 8.1:
http://www.thediagram.com/8_1/index.html

OCHO #19:
http://mipoesias.blogspot.com/2008/04/download-ocho-19.html

Triple Canopy 1:
http://www.canopycanopycanopy.com/1

(8) Skip this one
So yeah, I won't be able to make it to the George Oppen celebration at the library because I'll be busy that day getting married. Fortunately, I'm getting married to like my total favorite person in the whole world, so it's okay.

I'm the luckiest boy ever, not just because I get to hang out every day with such a beautiful, intelligent, good-singin' woman, but because we get to hang out with all of you all of the time. So thanks.

Our life together is big enough that it can include drinking beer with gifted, insightful, artistic people and listening to them say smart things about poetry and music and criticism; but small enough that it can include making up funny nicknames for people whose names we don't know and taking lots of pictures of our cat and arguing about dishes. It's would have been hard to imagine things turning out so well.

That's it. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the 505 reading, or at some of the other things mentioned here. Be good.

This newsletter is Elliot Harmon's personal fanzine of the Bay Area and national literary and music scenes. No claims are made of completeness or veracity. If you've received this email in error, please follow the instructions below to have your email address removed from the list.