What is Priv?

Shankar Dhanasekaran

May 22, 2015, 8:54:46 AM5/22/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
"Priv" reminds of my feeling when I first used linux and wondered what the folder "/etc" meant by its name. Does anyone know the etymology of "priv" folder? Why is it called "priv"? I know it comes from Erlang tradition but what does it mean?

Kamil Kieliszczyk

May 22, 2015, 8:57:49 AM5/22/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Take a look on Erlang OTP Design Principles User's Guide at Directory Structure here:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/applications.html

(..)
priv - Used for application specific files. For example, C executables are placed here. The function code:priv_dir/1 should be used to access this directory.
(..)

On 22.05.2015 14:54, Shankar Dhanasekaran wrote:
> "Priv" reminds of my feeling when I first used linux and wondered what the folder "/etc" meant by its name. Does anyone know the etymology of "priv" folder? Why is it called "priv"? I know it comes from Erlang tradition but what does it mean?

Shankar Dhanasekaran

May 22, 2015, 9:12:00 AM5/22/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I did look at that page earlier. It doesn't explain why the directory is called 'priv', rather, it only says what 'priv' contains. I am looking for the former.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elixir-lang-talk/555F27BB.705%40kieliszczyk.net.

Christopher McGrath

May 22, 2015, 9:15:34 AM5/22/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I would say it's just short for private.

Chris

Shankar Dhanasekaran

May 22, 2015, 11:56:34 AM5/22/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
chris, but what is private here? Phoenix uses the priv directory  (priv/static) to serve the static css and js files which are not private per se? Also if you say migration files in the priv directory are private, so are the other files in lib or web directory.

José Valim

May 22, 2015, 1:10:07 PM5/22/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
"priv" is like "OTP" where its name made sense at the beginning but today it has grown beyond that. All it matters now is that we put in the "priv" directory any artifact that you need in production alongside your code.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer