[Proposal] Suggestion for the "mix new" task - git support

Jean Lima

Dec 26, 2023, 8:53:40 AM12/26/23
to elixir-lang-core
Add git support to mix new as argument.

With the intention of a better experience for users starting a project I think adding git support out of the box could improve the mix new command.

It could work like this:

$ mix new PATH --git

And the behavior would be equivalent to:

$ mix new PATH
$ cd PATH
$ git init

And that is already a common use case for someone starting a new project.

If being git specific is an issue, could be just --vcs.

Andrey Yugai

Dec 26, 2023, 9:53:39 AM12/26/23
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
In my career I've never been in position to run `git init`, and now you want to make it completely impossible :)

Dec 27, 2023, 12:34:40 AM12/27/23
to elixir-lang-core
Haha, I see, you still have the chance tho!

Keep in mind that nowadays mix.new already adds a .gitignore file. So I think it is natural to just start the git repo already.

Rogério Santos

Dec 27, 2023, 9:18:34 PM12/27/23
to elixir-lang-core
If it's an optional and not default behaviour, I don't see why not.