Did Ecto ever publish any benchmarks

42 views
Skip to first unread message

benjamin...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 22, 2026, 5:06:58 PMSep 22
to elixir-ecto
I do remember there has been quite a few talks on Ecto but was there ever any benchmarks result published?

Philip Munksgaard

unread,
Sep 23, 2026, 2:48:24 AMSep 23
to benjamin...@gmail.com, elixi...@googlegroups.com
What kind of benchmarks would you be interested in?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2026, at 23:06, benjamin...@gmail.com wrote:
> I do remember there has been quite a few talks on Ecto but was there
> ever any benchmarks result published?
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "elixir-ecto" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to elixir-ecto...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elixir-ecto/f7df9998-c198-47bb-994b-5ee8294a238cn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elixir-ecto/f7df9998-c198-47bb-994b-5ee8294a238cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

benjamin...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 23, 2026, 11:42:11 AMSep 23
to elixir-ecto

I have my own benchmark, but would be nice to see if there ever was any for Ecto, since when it was built the design it was different from what was currently used in Erlang but maybe I remember wrong and there never really was any benchmarks 

benjamin...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 4, 2026, 12:32:56 PM (5 days ago) Oct 4
to elixir-ecto
Here is the benchmark suite: https://github.com/elixir-dbvisor/sql_bench, couldn't find anything remotely close to this for Ecto, turns out that the enummerable protocol which ~SQL is leveraging to provide superior ergonomics has no real impact on performance, so we have fundamentally arrived at zero cost abstraction which is a pretty cool selling point from Elixir perspective. I didn't even think this was possible when I first started this project, I think we could properly build the best performaning web framework across langagues in Elixir with unmatched ergonomics and concurrency.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages