Elive 1.9.51 grub dual boot issue

~Giph~

Nov 23, 2009, 1:17:09 PM11/23/09
to Elive Testers
Hello all,
I have been using Elive 1.9.51 on my new HP laptop as well as my
desktop Acer; I have both dual booted with Windows vista. When I
reboot into Vista after having been using elive It says the filesystem
is unrecognised format. Is there any way to fix this, or work around
it?

That darn clown again....

Nov 23, 2009, 8:11:50 PM11/23/09
to elive-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM, ~Giph~ <ever...@gmail.com> wrote:
.................I have both dual booted with Windows vista. When I

reboot into Vista after having been using elive It says the filesystem
is unrecognised format. Is there any way to fix this, or work around
it?

Do you have NTFS read and write support enabled in Elive?

~Giph~

Nov 26, 2009, 11:13:28 AM11/26/09
to Elive Testers
Yes I do; maybe this is the problem. Is there anyway to change that
setting without reinstallation?
I noticed the same thing is happening on my desktop as well which is
an AMD dual core Acer. I have never had this problem before, so I
don't think it's hardware specific. I wonder if there has been a
change that affects the file structure or something.

On Nov 23, 6:11 pm, "That darn clown again...." <justacl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:17 PM, ~Giph~ <eversp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > .................I have both dual booted with Windows vista. When I
> > reboot into Vista after having been using elive It says the filesystem
> > is unrecognised format. Is there any way to fix this, or work around
> > it?
>
> Do you have NTFS read *and **write* support enabled in Elive?

That darn clown again....

Nov 26, 2009, 2:18:56 PM11/26/09
to elive-...@googlegroups.com

I imagine so. The first thing that comes to mind is editing your fstab and make your ntfs drive ro (read-only). I'd also try man ntfs-3g in a terminal or reading their website http://www.ntfs-3g.org/ for more info.

I noticed the same thing is happening on my desktop as well which is
an AMD dual core Acer. I have never had this problem before, so I
don't think it's hardware specific. I wonder if there has been a
change that affects the file structure or something.

NTFS write access is still fairly new and it's still has a few bugs, hence the warning when turning it on. You also have to remember that the two OS' store files differently. Where *nix will store files in a contiguous manner, M$ throws them on haphazardly. Your M$ OS just may not like all that logic and order on it's part of your disk.  ;)   Try booting into safe mode and run the chkdsk/scandisk/whatever-disk utility to see if it will straighten your fat out on the M$ side.

Personally, I got rid of my ntfs read-write problems by deleting windows.

~Giph~

Nov 29, 2009, 11:59:15 PM11/29/09
to Elive Testers
thanks for the suggestion... it worked on both machines by changing
the last bit of each line in my fstab to read:
"ntfs-3g ro 0 0".
I don't blame you for completely removing the windohs portion all
together. I would love to do that, but unfortunatley am tied to some
specific win-based software for work. Plus the new laptop has some
multimedia bugs I have yet to get working on elive such as the sound
card only plays sound from the woofer, not the main speakers. that is
a big nuisance since I am an audio freak.
Anyway, thanks again for the guidance!!!