Clock and keymap

Momist

Aug 31, 2009, 5:18:08 PM8/31/09
to Elive Testers
Hi everyone,
I'm a (very) new user with a Toshiba Satellite 4030CDS laptop with a
fussy video card (Trident) and only 190MB of memory (maximum
allowed). I was looking for a Linux distro which might run, after
failing with DSL, Puppy, Knoppix, Mint and Xubuntu. The Gem 1.0
didn't let me configure my wireless (USB dongle) so I've now installed
1.9.41 unstable.

Everything works well! However, I can't find any way of setting the
clock to the right time, the setup never asked me where I am, and the
keymap is the US one by default, and I can't find where to switch to
the GB one.

I like the Nurse concept, but it hasn't helped with this. Can anyone
set me on the right path?

Thanks,

Momist.

Thanatermesis

Aug 31, 2009, 6:09:16 PM8/31/09
to Elive Testers
All these configurations are available in "Elpanel" (last icon of your
dock), but if there's not for configure the keymap to the GB version,
then report the bug to http://bugs.elivecd.org

Apart of that... It is the development version light as the Gem
version ? which ones looks to work faster and lighter ?

Thanatermesis

Momist

Sep 1, 2009, 3:47:47 PM9/1/09
to Elive Testers

Thanks Thanatermesis,
> All these configurations are available in "Elpanel" (last icon of your
> dock)
It was there in the Gem release I briefly tried, but I can't find it
anywhere in this one. The Gem version asked for the keyboard settings
and timezone during setup, along with many other things. I seem to
have chosen the wrong one, so I went back in to the Lpanel and
corrected it. On the 1.9.41 setup, it never asked, and I can't put it
right.
> report the bug to http://bugs.elivecd.org

I will.
> Apart of that... It is the development version light as the Gem
> version ? which ones looks to work faster and lighter ?

Gem was quicker to install, and booted faster. I guess that means
that it was "lighter". Both seem just as quick for me in use.

Thanks for your reply.

Momist

P.S. I am now finding other problems with the development version, but
I will be getting rid of it soon as I have edited the xorg.conf file
and broken the keyboard mapping totally. I'm hoping to retain the
wireless settings, and go back to Gem.

Thanatermesis

Oct 2, 2009, 7:35:55 AM10/2/09
to Elive Testers
Well, im more worried about the "speed of the system while using it"
than the speed of the boot, the boot is not important, what is
important is the experience of the user and the speed while using it.
How is that point about ? comparing these 2 versions

About the clock, im just verified that it is available on the version
1.9.46, it is on "elpanel", please try it, you can change your time
and the timezone, also the UTC thing

Thanatermesis