Elive 1.9.51 input problems with [settings -> input -> key bindings]

jtwdyp

Nov 20, 2009, 8:25:48 PM11/20/09
to Elive Testers
Hi I'm new to the group. Don't know how much "testing" I'll be doing
but since I just started using a current development version I thought
I'd give some feedback on a problem I had and how I got around it....

I don't know if the theme matters but I selected the included "Lucax3"
theme

But the keybindings that my fingers expect are very different from the
default bindings... So different that I start with delete all... But I
noticed that it usually took a combination of add binding and modify
binding to establish a keybinding that was actually linked to it's
action... Additionally it often destabilized other already established
keybindings so that they needed to be REmodified again...

After a while I found a pattern that seemed to be consistent...
(I'm not sure about the very first add key when there wasn't any in
the
list to be currently selected. I wasn't willing to delete all bindings
again to find out.)

But for the last 18 of the 35 keybindings I fought with the gui to
establish
it worked this way:

First I'd select an action that wasn't yet linked to a keybinding.
{Note
since the action isn't associated with a key yet, the last key that
was
selected on the "key binding" side of the list is still marked.}

Second I'd click on "add key" and type a key-combo. { Note: Somehow
this
keybinding would be linked with the key that was still selected in the
"key binding" list at the moment I clicked on the "add key" button.
And neither key would work properly...}

Third I'd select the inadvertently affected key, & reselect it's
intended
action. Then once both the key and it's intended action were selected
at
the same time I'd Click on "modify key" and retype that key-combo.

Fourth I'd select the key I'd just tried to assign the new action to,
&
select it's intended action again. Then when this key & it's intended
action are both selected I'd click on "modify key" and retype this
key-combo.

example. I switch to specific desktops with control-Fkey combos rather
than the alternate-Fkey combos in the default values. So starting with
after I set CTRL+F1 to "switch to desktop 0" I selected the unassigned
"switch to desktop 1" And clicked on "add key" And typed the CTRL+F2
key-combo. Now CTRL+F2 is listed but no action is indexed when I
select
it. And when I select CRTL+F1 I find it's now assigned to "switch to
desktop 1" instead of "switch to desktop 0".
To resolve that I select CTRL+F1, then reselect "switch to desktop 0"
&
use the "modify key" to reset the key to it's action. (and repeat with
CTRL+F2 & "switch to desktop 1") As long as the action AND it's
intended
shortcut are already "selected" when I click on "modify key" and
reenter the
same key-combo as was selected when I clicked on "modify key" then the
keybinding works. But "add key" interferes with any key combo that
happens to be selected when I try to add a key to an unassigned
action...

So the sequence continues:
Add CTRL+F3 to "switch to desktop 2"
fix (modify) CTRL+F2 & CTRL+F3
Add CTRL+F4
fix CTRL+F3 & CTRL+F4
Add CTRL+F5
fix CTRL+F4 & CTRL+F5

Well thats all I got for now...

--
jtwdyp

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook

Nov 24, 2009, 6:06:38 AM11/24/09
to Elive Testers

I don't know exactly what happened. All I know is that "NOW" the gui
keybinding asignment is working the way it was designed... It's been a
few days. And I installed several packages. At some point I did an
apt-get upgrade. Then I wanted to add a few more keybindings And to my
surprise I didn't have to fight with it anymore...

--
? ?

-=- -=- Guess I just don't know.
<?> <?> Joseph (the Wordy) Philbrook
^ <Hunh?> J(tWdy)P
--- <jtw...@ttlc.net>

? ?

jtwdyp

Dec 16, 2009, 1:01:31 PM12/16/09
to Elive Testers

On Nov 24, 6:06 am, "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtw...@ttlc.net> wrote:
> I don't know exactly what happened.  All I know is that "NOW" the gui
> keybinding asignment is working the way it was designed... I

Actualy, I spoke a little too soon. A couple times I added a
keybinding
without a problem so I thought the problem was gone. But the next time
was ready to add more than one it messed up again. However now I think
found away to *_reliably_* avoid the problem I was having. It seems
to be
mostly related to the key sequence on the left side of the screen that
is
already "selected" when I'd click on "add key".

I've learned that once a keybinding is "highlighted" clicking on "add
key"
may affect both the new key and the previously selected key... But if
open the "key bindings" tool and carefuly avoid accidentaly selecting
any
of the existing bindings before I click on "add key", and then add
only
one new binding before closing the tool. it doesn't mess with any of
the
existing key-bindings.

IE if I want to add bindings for:
CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+J & CTRL+ALT+WIN+J & ALT+SHIFT+WIN+J
I would need to open the "key bindings" tool 3 times.