july @ eliotneighborhood.org

Eliot Neighborhood

Jul 31, 2015, 4:01:17 PM7/31/15

National Night Out

National Night Out Logo

Join Eliot Neighborhood Association for a National Night Out party in Dawson Park!  This is a fun, free neighborhood event featuring live music, a potluck, a raffle, safety information, neighborhood information and more!

Continue reading National Night Out

Board Meeting Minutes 2015-07-20

minutes

DRAFT—NOT YET APPROVED

6:45—Meetings Begins

Minutes read and approved

Continue reading Board Meeting Minutes 2015-07-20

Williams Ave Art

Hill Block Building in 1962

The Committee to Honor the History of Williams Avenue (the Committee) announces the selection of artists Kayin Talton Davis and Cleo Davis as the artists who will create artwork for Williams Avenue. The artists, who own Soapbox Theory & Screwloose Studio on North Williams Avenue, will install 10 tile sidewalk “murals”, 30 commemorative signs and an interactive kiosk along N. Williams Avenue from Broadway to Killingsworth Street. Final designs will be reviewed by the committee in July with installation expected in late summer.

Continue reading Williams Ave Art

Neighborhood Friendships

A Letter from the Eliot News editor

“Make good friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold. You help me and I’ll help you and together we will see it through”  (Girl Scout song)

Continue reading Neighborhood Friendships

Street Mural Gets Fresh Paint

Intersection Painting Leaves

On May 30th, a beautiful sunny Saturday, the community came together for our 3rd annual Intersection Painting and Block Party. It was a full day of music, food and fun! About 80 folks participated in giving a fresh coat of paint to the street mural at NE Rodney and Tillamook.

Continue reading Street Mural Gets Fresh Paint

NECN: What They Do

NECN MapMap of NECN Neighborhoods

The Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods (NECN) is fully staffed and there for you! The goal is to help neighborhoods collaborate to improve the quality and effectiveness of services to the neighborhoods.  The coalition serves 12 neighborhoods in the inner N/NE Portland area – including Eliot.

Continue reading NECN: What They Do

Crime Reporting

Broken GlassBroken glass in the street

With the increase in the number of days with good weather has come an increase in the number of crimes that we are hearing about at the Eliot Neighborhood Association meetings.

Continue reading Crime Reporting

Clean Up a Huge Success

Posted on July 8, 2015 by Sue Stringer

Clean Up 2015

The annual Eliot Clean Up was on May 17th and was a huge success.  We collected over 6 tons of mixed waste, recycled over 100 appliances and televisions, donated  enough clothes, shoes, household items and toys to fill 3 pickup trucks to Good Will, a half a dozen bikes to Community Cycling Center, and about 500 books were either sold to Powell’s books or donated to Title Wave Bookstore.   We gathered donations of more than $1000 which will help the neighborhood association host future events.

Continue reading Clean Up a Huge Success

Eliot’s 1993 Plan

Eliot Plan Map 1993Urban Design Concept Plan from 1993 Eliot Plan p.40

The Eliot Neighborhood Plan is going to be updated after 22 years.  Last time it was completed, Eliot was scheduled to get a water taxi stop.  What does the future hold for our piece of shoreline on the Willamette River now?

Continue reading Eliot’s 1993 Plan

Torrain: A Recycled Goods Shop

Torrain Bags

Nyla Jano, owner of Torrain here in Portland, was designing the women’s line for a skate company in California when she realized she was not doing enough. Her background working with environmental organizations and social work companies sparked a need to help others. “I always felt weird being just a clothing designer,” Jano said. And so, she teamed up with artisan groups in Cambodia to create a bag line made from recycled materials, such as rice bags, fish feed bags, cement bags, and magazines.

Continue reading Torrain: A Recycled Goods Shop

-----

Stay up to date!  Receive an email each time a new article is posted on eliotneighborhood.org.  To sign up, visit http://eliotneighborhood.org/follow-us/.

Eliot Neighborhood Association . eliotneighborhood.org