Lens progress update

Michael Aufreiter

Aug 29, 2013, 2:49:28 PM8/29/13
to elife...@googlegroups.com

Quick update on Lens progress this week.

I've implemented zooming that works for all resource types (not just images).

See: http://lens.substance.io/#lens/lorem_ipsum/figures/all/image_fig2

I've also put some work into the article spec and documentation. Thank you Rebecca for helping with that part!

http://lens.substance.io/#lens/lens_article

http://lens.substance.io/#lens/manual

Oliver and I were experimenting with a client-side NLM converter, using the DOM API (it's based on the Substance.Converter). It turned out it works really well, since the DOM API is nicer to handle than Node's sax module. It's also super-fast, and debugging is much easier using the browser dev tools. I'll give you updates on this in the coming days. We're working on this in our own time currently, since it's also a nice use-case for the Substance editor.

Ivan, Rebecca: You can have an an early look at the code here:

https://github.com/substance/converter/blob/nlm_converter/src/nlm_importer.js

Basic testsuite is here:

https://github.com/substance/converter/blob/nlm_converter/tests/nlm_importer_test.js

Goals for next week:

I'd like to try packaging Lens as a Chrome app, so we get access to the Storage API. That way we can let people drag and drop NLM files into Lens and expose them in a "My Documents" Collection.

More updates to come.

Michael