The team behind eLife Lens needs your help

Michael Aufreiter

Mar 16, 2014, 10:09:16 AM3/16/14
to elife...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lens users!

Substance, the development team behind eLife Lens is submitting a proposal to the Knight News Challenge Call. And we need your help!

Topic: How can we strengthen the Internet for free expression and innovation?

We're proposing an open decentralised architecture, where every user can install a personal self-controlled network, and use it as a space for expression.

https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/2014/submissions/substance-network

We're really serious about making this idea a reality. Now that the web turns 25, I think it's a great chance to challenge the big guys and bring back control to the people. Using the existing Substance framework (which has advanced over the past 3.5 years) as a foundation, it's realistic to turn this proposal into beta within 6 months and have it in production within a year or two.

While the current proposal is not tailored to scientific use-cases, it can be utilized for open science as well. It will allow collaborative creation of Lens documents... and then it's not gonna happen on a central infrastructure.. you'll be able to set it up yourself and have full control about your data.

So how can you help?

- any improvements on our central theme
- lend us your native-english voice for a video
- help us make a video
- talk about us with important people ;)
- let others know that we are grateful for any help...

We can make changes to the Knight-News entry until Tuesday (March 18th). However.. we'll be trying more different funding options. Even a kickstarter campaign is an option. However.. first we need to know how the idea is received.. and if there's enough support for it. We want to shape the idea based on people's feedback.

Thank you! :)

-- Michael