converting Word to XML

Ian Mulvany

Aug 19, 2013, 12:37:30 PM8/19/13
to elife...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

One of the big challenges that we are all facing is how to get to a
nicely structured document, from the often arbitrary object that
authors send us.

At eLife we are going to initially see if we can work with our
typesetters to do a proof of concept on quick conversion from Work to
XML using their systems. We hope to complete this proof of concept by
the end of September.

One other tool that I have been looking at briefly is
https://github.com/MartinPaulEve/meTypeset.

Martin Paul Eve has been pushing open source and OA in the Humanties,
and has written brilliantly about the idea of creating an Open Access
Software Toolchain:
https://www.martineve.com/2013/07/07/evaluating-the-open-access-software-toolchain/.

I am going to try to get this toolchain working with refract tomorrow,
ahead of my conversations with our typesetter and peer review vendors
towards the end of the week.

Martin is hoping to be able to push the development of his tool, but
my understanding is that he is pretty heavily committed - timewise -
to a number of projects right now.

- Ian