Extending Lens with new sections

stijn beauprez

Nov 17, 2014, 8:28:40 AM11/17/14
to elife...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

For a project we would like to extend Lens to show new types of linked data (e.g. Chemicals). What's the best way to approach this? I tried to checkout the master branch and get everything locally but I'm getting a lot of errors. Also checking out older versions didn't work.

Regards

Stijn

Ian Mulvany

Nov 17, 2014, 10:51:09 AM11/17/14
to stijn beauprez, elife...@googlegroups.com
We are working on a new version of lens that enables the creation of
new resource panels on the fly. It's in the "lens-next" branch. I
would recommend building on top of that.

We are also working on a writeup to show how to interact with this new
model. There is an initial writeup here:
https://gist.github.com/davidcmoulton/6f84fb182b7ca23ce93c, however
it's a little out of date. I'll try to get you an updated version by
the end of the week.
- Ian

---
Head of Technology - eLife
Submit now - http://submit.elifesciences.org/
twitter: @IanMulvany

Stijn Beauprez

Nov 17, 2014, 11:15:59 AM11/17/14
to Ian Mulvany, elife...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian

That should indeed help us to create what we have in mind. The only issue I currently still have is to get the lens_next branch running.

I installed the latest version of the substance screwdriver, ran substance —update and ran “node server”. But I’m still getting javascript errors blocking the lens viewer to render.

Regards

Stijn

Ian Mulvany

Nov 19, 2014, 5:20:24 AM11/19/14
to elife...@googlegroups.com, i.mu...@elifesciences.org
Hi Stijn,

If you could put in the errors that would be helpful. I've just been chatting to Michal and Oliver, and they just mentioned that the lens-next branch is not public yet, but we will be making it public later today.

It's important to know that this branch (lens-next), that supports invoking of new panes from API driven content, is not finalised yet, but it is the approach we are pursuing, and we are hoping to get to a point to be able to merge it into the main lens master branch some time in December.

If you paste in some of the errors you are getting now, then Michael and Oliver can have a look.

Michael Aufreiter

Nov 19, 2014, 5:49:36 AM11/19/14
to elife...@googlegroups.com, i.mu...@elifesciences.org
Hi Stijn!

I just made the lens-next repo public. You can use it as a starting point. Just be aware this work is considered experimental atm.

You can find custom code here:

Regards,
Michael

Stijn Beauprez

Nov 19, 2014, 6:31:38 AM11/19/14
to Michael Aufreiter, elife...@googlegroups.com, i.mu...@elifesciences.org
Hi Michael

Thanks for making that public. I just checked it out and it’s working. The only problems I still have is that it is not working with NLM xml files coming from the PMC Open Access (e.g. http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/eutils/efetch.fcgi?db=pmc&id=193660).

Regards

Stijn
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "elife lens" group.