Protection Batteries from Inverter and BP220 while still being able to shut down the Inverter/Charger independently of BP220.

Charles Gomes

Jan 3, 2021, 2:10:11 PM1/3/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to protect the batteries and wanted to also shutdown the inverter when it's not needed to reduce it's parasitic load.

Inverter is Quattro 5000/24 for DC loads I'm putting a BP220 before the DC loads.

I want to run a Raspberry pi or ESP32 to control the system turning on/off inverter, water heater, diesel burner.
So far the diagram just shows wire form EXT IO3 to Inverter and BP220.  But most of the time I want to turn off the inverter as the loads that I need 24 hours are already 24V DC.

Should I add an ESP32 + SSR to control the EXT IO3 output to the Inverter Remote or is there a clever solution ?

Could I use EXT IO5 and send a command over the WIFI to turn on EXT IO5 thus eliminating the need of an extra component ?  (I'm find if I need to modify the software)

Could I use EXT IO6 to turn on a buzzer as a fault/warning alarm notification ?

Looking at the Quattro Inverter manual the external remote connects can only trigger Unit on / off and Charger only, anyone knows a way to turn it into Inverter only but not charge so I can complete the battery protection ?
Looks like from software this is possible as I've seen some people using the Ve.Bus smart dongle to achieve that.
Otherwise I will have to switch to a Pheonix 24/5000 and get a separated Centaur Charger.

Charles Gomes

Jan 3, 2021, 2:21:37 PM1/3/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Larger diagram

Dacian Todea

Jan 3, 2021, 3:09:45 PM1/3/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Charles,

Here is the document https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Connecting-other-lithium-battery-systems-to-Multis-and-Quattros-EN.pdf that shows how the Quattro will integrated with an external BMS including the SBMS0 so the SBMS0 will be able to separately control the charger and the inverter.
Are you fully offgrid ? is that AC input from a gasoline generator ?

Looking at your diagram you need to move the fuses and that switch. The shunts need to be connected directly to battery so you will have the battery shunt connected directly to battery and the PV shunt connected directly to the PV shunt as shown in manual the from there you can add the fuses and switches as the shunts need to be allays at the battery+ potential or else the current shunt amplifiers inside of the SBMS0 will get damaged.

The easy method is to add a mechanical switch in series with the EXT IOx and the inverter ON/OFF remote to manualy turn ON or OFF the inverter when needed. That is how my system is setup as I have most devices running from 24V DC and I use the inverter maybe around 2h per day mostly for electric cooking so I have a switch next to the AC outlet in the kitchen and just turn ON the inverter when needed and then OFF when it is not needed.
But you can also automate stuff either by using a different EXT IOx for inverter control and have that stop the inverter if say battery is below 40% SOC

Charles Gomes

Jan 3, 2021, 4:18:34 PM1/3/21
to electrodacus

Thank you, I updated the diagram. Now I just need to figure out a way to add something between Inverter Enable and the SBMS0.
I agree that a manual switch is a great solution, however I want to programmatically switch things on/off. I think an ESP32 with Wemos/blynk will do a great job to help me save energy as most of the stuff on AC always have parasitic load (microwave, stove, water heater, diesel burner).
diagram v2.jpg

Dacian Todea

Jan 3, 2021, 5:51:29 PM1/3/21
to electrodacus
Charles,

Yes shunts are connected correctly now. If you want some complex logic to automatically turn OFF the inverter then you just need to add another optoisolator in series with the EXT IOx  (EXT IOx uses the Toshiba TLP172GM so you can use the same or something similar) and then control that on the input with the ESP32 or similar computing device based on your logic.