SBMSO + 4 DSSR20 for a dual motor fatbike

Jorge Alonso

Jun 25, 2021, 11:06:27 PM6/25/21
to electrodacus
Hi Dacian and group. I find this project very interesting.

I have a bicycle I converted to have front and rear direct drive hub motors, 1500watts each max.

I'm wondering if I can use the SMBSO and the DSSR20's to manage my battery pack 48v

The hub motor controllers have a switch to turn on and off regenerative braking and user changeable settings for reverse charging, voltage and current limits.

so what came to mind was, why not use DDSR's to monitor and log the regen braking.

#1  DDSR20 front hub motor regen
#2  DDSR20 rear hub motor regen
#3  DDSR20 solar panel / dc charger
#4  DDSR20 dc charger

Is there a way for the SMBSO to monitor more than 8 cells? like 12s or 13s for the 48v pack.   I'm building the battery pack myself and I have 100 x tesla3-21700 cells.

The Electrodacus dual motor fatbike...heehee, built in Canada.

any thoughts, obstacles?

are these products available to buy at the moment?

I think you have a really awesome product.

Sincerely,

Jorge Alonso

Dacian Todea

Jun 26, 2021, 1:29:52 PM6/26/21
to electrodacus
Jorge,

Sorry SBMS0 is designed for max 8s so it will not work with your 13s eBike pack.
You reminded me that I also have a few samples of tesla 3 cells that I wanted to cycle test to see what the cycle life is but I'm just to busy to setup a test system that will need to run for a few months. I know the model 3 cells are glued and they do not look very good after they are removed from the pack at least 1 or 2 from the 5 I think I have look fairly badly bent.
If the SBMS0 was usable there will have been no need for DSSR20 for regen as usually you will not start with a full battery from the peak of a mountain to overcharge the battery.
You will need to search for a 13s BMS.

Jorge Alonso

Jun 26, 2021, 6:49:56 PM6/26/21
to electrodacus
Ok i thought that might be the case...8s only for now.

You can buy brand new t3-21700, bought the batteries from battery hookup in Pennsylvania, they are pleasant to talk to on the phone and order arrived in 48hrs(they shipped DHL). Toronto my doorstep.

I can send you a few if you want for testing, or maybe help with a setup?

For the ebike project maybe I build up an 8s10p =4.1x8 @ 90%=32.8v   then a solid state DC-DC setup to 48v-60v, this might work fine?
this will get me a great portable power pack(also DC-DC stepdown, 5v, 12, and perhaps also....

just plug in to power the ebike

did some research  on a few ebike bms's. Ants, Dalys (2-20s)...etc

but the Electrodacus has a few features I like better...in no specific order:

#1 open source approach to the project
#2 human readable lcd display
#3 user input buttons with tactile feedback
#4 intelligent management
#5 solar ready (with mppt bypass!)
#6 wind ready
#7 ebike ready??  :)
#8 wifi
#9 made in Canada

I have been learning about bms's and looking to get involved in some kind of opensource project. I like this one.

Is the SMBSO with wifi available?
I'd like to purchase one for dev work and learning.
especially if its made by a cool pick and place robot I saw in an older video.

Jorge

Jorge Alonso

Jun 26, 2021, 6:55:19 PM6/26/21
to electrodacus
20210626_170434.jpg

Dacian Todea

Jun 26, 2021, 9:58:45 PM6/26/21
to electrodacus
I purchased cells form a Tesla model 3 as I wanted to show they are no better than the smaller 18650 used in model s same 500 cycles but did not got the chance to test them.
Is less likely than either Tesla or Panasonic will sell this cells to the DIY market so not sure if those are the same cells but probably have similar characteristics so is not that relevant.
With a DC-DC converter you will likely not be able to use the regenerative breaking.
The WiFi/USB is a separate module that you can order on my website and if you do so it will come already installed on the SBMS0.
Probably all electronics are made by a pick and place robot :)