Victron Smart Batteryprotect-is it necessary

Peter Kuczynski

Mar 2, 2021, 11:10:42 PM3/2/21
to electrodacus
Hi Dacian,
I have wired up my DC step down converter  from 24 to 12.
Question: Is my battery protected from too much dc power draw by the Sbms0, or should I wire in my Victron Smartshunt 12/24 / 100 ?

I am not sure if the Sbms0 supports the Smart Batteryprotect, if its need it, or how to connect it to the Sbms0.

Pictured is a 40a 24 to 12 converter, fused by a 50A breaker which goes into the small DC panel.

My intent to power dc appliances such as a small fridge and 2 diesel heaters for now.

I am going to guess that the Sbms0 will cut off any DC loads when the battery start to run too low and this unit isnt necessary.

Peter
battery_protect.jpg

Dacian Todea

Mar 3, 2021, 1:23:20 AM3/3/21
to electrodacus
Peter,

Yes you sure need the Battery protect as the DC-DC converter you are using has no remote ON/OFF.
The 40A is likely the spec for the 12V output thus it will take just over 20A max on the input.

Bernd

Mar 3, 2021, 1:47:23 AM3/3/21
to electrodacus
Hello Peter,

sorry for writing this: But you need to read the manual. In this project this is the major job on your side :-) esp. if you are not sure on a specific step.
I know that the manual is a hard document as it describes all possible scenarios and not your specific installation. But that´s how it works....
I think you will not want to victron smart shunt. The SBMS0 will provide all information, if you install everything correct.

Overall summary:
"Check step 5 of the install process. It describe that you need to connect IO3 to your battery protect. The cable from IO3 of your SBMS0 will replace the black cable in the green litte connector on your battery protect."

With a little more details... I did it like this:
-install battery -> battery protect -> DC loads correct
-let the load start (could be a DC converter with your volt meter connected for testing or a light)
-pull the small black looped cable (1cm) -i think it is labeled REMOTE ON/FF- out of the battery protect -> tataa the load will be OFF

Now replace the black cable with a wired connection towards IO3 of your SBMS0 and let the BMS do this for you e.g. in case of undervoltage scenario.

To test now the installation -> go into the IO settings menu on your SBMS0 and set IO3 to 0 -> load will be OFF and set it back to 2.

Peter Kuczynski

Mar 3, 2021, 9:35:02 AM3/3/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dacian,
I appreciate the assistance. I could not figure this out from the documentation.
As @Bernd states below, the Smart BatteryProtect [just to be clear this is NOT the smart shunt] ,

The cable from IO3 of your SBMS0 will replace the black cable in the green little connector on your battery protect.
Now replace the black cable with a wired connection towards IO3 of your SBMS0 and let the BMS do this for you

I assume he is referring to the 16 pin connector
Pins 13 and 14. So connect a 22g wire from there to the two pins of "lack cable in the green little connector on your battery protect"

Note, I am adding a Victron inverter so I am going to also be connecting EXT IO3 to that unit, would that be pins 11 and 12 ?

Im assuming also I am still keeping my 50a circuit breaker, so this Smart Batt Protect is NOT replacing that.

Peter

Bernd

Mar 3, 2021, 9:50:24 AM3/3/21
to electrodacus
Hi Peter,

You need to connect IO3 on the SMBS0 and depending on your model it should be the 16 pin connector (in green if you have the latest version).

Not really sure, what happens if you connect two devices on IO3, but i think you could also configure another IO Port as another type 2 and connect inverter and battery protect on different IO ports, but you need to set them up equally so that they act the same.

But maybe you could connect both to IO3 -> Dacian will let us know :-)

Peter Kuczynski

Mar 3, 2021, 11:21:44 AM3/3/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bernd

That observation would make sense, whereby, the SBMS0 [its the latest yes] can control AC as well as DC loads.

So for Dc it would be the Victron Battery Protect :

.....for AC its the Victron Pheonix 1200VA 24 volt

It looks like EXTIO 5 and 6 and be used for additional loads and chargers.

Peter

Dacian Todea

Mar 3, 2021, 12:17:01 PM3/3/21
to electrodacus
Peter,
I think that phoenix inverter has the same type of remote as battery Protect so you may be able to use EXT IO3 for both of them.  You will just need to see with is L and with is H pin on the inverter so they connect to corresponding L and H on the BatteryProtect. You can just measure and L will be the positive one also check they have the same voltage as I'm not sure since I did not had the smart version of Battery protect so not sure if they changed the voltage levels for remote.

Peter Kuczynski

Mar 4, 2021, 9:29:51 AM3/4/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Regarding EXTIO3 + and -, pins 14 and 13

Would I be connecting H remote to pin 14 on the SBMS0, and L remote to ping 13 ?

The attached jpg shows H as - can be connected to battery plus
 and L - can be connected to battery minus.

Maybe someone can add this to the page 8 directions to avoid this question being re-asked ?
Connect the EXT IO3 set as type 2 to your inverter, large DC/DC converter or for multiple small DC loads to Victron Battery Protect or similar device. Most of you will use an inverter and the inverter will need to support remote ON/OFF and while a lot of them do not all can support that.Simple rule will be that any inverter with a mechanical single pole single trow ON/OFF switch will be able to support remote ON/OFF compatible with SBMS0 but you may need to solder two wires in parallel with that ON/OFF switch if there is no remote port available on the unit.Inverters that have a momentary type ON/OFF switch most likely will not support compatible remote ON/OFF but there are a few exceptions.

Peter
1608348669616.png
thumbnail_IMG_1174(1).jpg

Peter Kuczynski

Mar 4, 2021, 8:40:50 PM3/4/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I think I got it working.

I connected H remote to pin 14 on the SBMS0, and L remote to ping 13.
Powered it on, downloaded the app, connected to the Vicron with the default pass: 000000
By default it discoved the 24v battery. I went to settings, the GEAR icon on the upper right corner of the app. Mode was A, Buzzer/Led, Operation Normal
Set the battery to Lion, see the screen  shot. Mode C Li-on. Operation Li-on.
Apparently if you use the Victron app so you dont have to use the button to make the same settings.I made the connections between the Victron and the SBMS0 using 2 wires from a Cat-6 cable.
I went into the IOx menu on the SBMS0, EXTIO3 was already set to type 2 by default.
To test my settings...I set it to 0, and the Victron was Disabled on the App. I then set it to 2, and it became reenabled withing 10 seconds.
So were good. I relly like the Victron pp, it can be addictive.

My only question is with the SOC settings, its set to 90%. Im not sure what this means with EXTIO3. Should I change it or leave it.
Does it mean if SOC falls below 90% that the power to the EXTIO3 Victron will  be cut?

Next I'll be hooking up the Victron Inverter. i do not want to use EXTIO3. Im not sure if I should to try sharing EXTIO3 . Can I use 5, ports 9 and 10 on the SBMS0 ?

Peter
thumbnail_IMG_1175.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1176.jpg
IMG_1177.PNG
IMG_1178.PNG
thumbnail_IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1180.PNG

Dacian Todea

Mar 4, 2021, 9:23:03 PM3/4/21
to electrodacus
The SOC setting has no meaning for type 1 and type 2 so is not relevant.

Dave McCampbell

Mar 8, 2021, 5:35:08 AM3/8/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dacian.  I have read through this post and am still having a problem wiring my SBMS0 to a Battery Protect 100 for loads protection.  As mentioned above the BP instructions are confusing and appear written mainly for Victron equipment.  I have wired up my BP as described above with relay 'in' to battery + and 'out' to the load.  With remote jumper in place shouldn't the relay be making contact so that the loads would be powered?  Same situation if I wired remote BP2.1 to EXTIOx+ and BP2.2 to EXTIOx- with type 2 set?  The small BP LCD is showing error code E3 which is low voltage, and in fact the load side of the BP is at 2v while the batt side is at battery voltage.  I am not using an inverter with the load.  I have not programmed the BP or wired up the ground wire BP2.2 to a batt negative, as from reading through the above post I did not see that was required when wiring this to the SBMS0.  Can you advise what I am missing?

Plamen

Mar 8, 2021, 8:24:35 AM3/8/21
to electrodacus
Hi Dave,
 The Ground cable of the Battery protect should be always connected to negative, not only when programming.
71E5xviOFNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Dave McCampbell

Mar 8, 2021, 11:27:17 PM3/8/21
to electrodacus
Plamen.  Thanks very much for that.  I will wire it up again this PM and let you know how it went.

Peter Kuczynski

Mar 12, 2021, 3:37:58 PM3/12/21
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Ok, finally got the Inverter mounted and did a few checks on the power at the remote On/Off switch at  both units.

Power at the SmartBateryProtect [SBP]  on/off switch: 4.6

Power at the Victron 24/1200 inverter on/off switch: 16.75

I have a jumper on the Sbmp0 ports 14 and 13, EXTIO3+ and - that would connect to both inits on/off switches. But like I mentioned above, on the other end, im only presently connected to the Inverter.

Question, should I connect to the SBP and see what happens, or use EXTIO5 ports 10 and 9 ?

Peter
extio4 jumpered.jpg
inverter.jpg
sbp.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1232.jpg

Dacian Todea

Mar 12, 2021, 3:52:13 PM3/12/21
to electrodacus
Peter,

Both the inverter and the Battery protect have a L and H pin for remote ON/OFF,   So you should connect the H pin of both together to EXT IO3-  (the L pin will remain unused) then connect the EXT IO3+ to a 1KOhm resistor and then the other end of the resistor to battery+
If the H and L pins are not marked or you can not find that in the spec the H pin will be the one that is at 0V potential

Peter Kuczynski

Mar 12, 2021, 5:04:37 PM3/12/21
to electrodacus
It Works!

1000 ohm resistor to POS Batt and port 14 Extio3 +

Inverter H pin and SBP H pin jumpered. L pin left disconnected.

Thank you Dacian!

Peter

resistor_power.jpg
sbms0.jpg