The " Green" ElectroDacus

Grizzzman

Dec 15, 2020, 6:50:08 AM12/15/20
to electrodacus
 l have received a prototype SBMS40 from Alex. I Will receive the components to bring it online this weekend. Alex has stated that they added a FET on the charge circuit. the design is two piece with a gap between the screen and the main board that will help with cooling. I have selected a heat-sink and I will set up a fan with a temperature controller (This may not stay dependent on testing ) What temperature would be advised for fan operation? I will be running a max of 31 amps during charging and 32 amps discharging during testing. Additionally, I will be running a 2000 Watt inverter ( testing at 80 amps for 12 minutes. "drip coffee maker" ). That will be through the shunt so I don't expect that to generate much heat at the SBMS40. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dacian Todea

Dec 15, 2020, 12:47:59 PM12/15/20
to electrodacus
Miles,
Sorry I have no information about the green SBMS40 so I can not help you. The green SBMS40 that Alex made is not the same as the original SBMS40 I designed and sold as he redesigned for lower cost so not sure what PCB he has used and what mosfets plus many other variables that will dictate what sort of cooling you will need.
The external inverter will produce no heat on the SBMS40 as that is supplied trough the external shunt only.

Grizzzman

Dec 15, 2020, 3:48:31 PM12/15/20
to electrodacus
 Tank you for your response. I will error on the side caution when it come to cooling.

Dacian Todea

Dec 15, 2020, 4:00:07 PM12/15/20
to electrodacus
I think that Alex version has exposed tracks on the back so you will need to use some sort of insulated pad in order to install a heatsink. The original SBMS40 had dual PCB laminated construction as I was building them myself I afforded to do that so back of the SBMS40 had no traces and could directly be installed on a heatsink.
Best to ask Alex what he recommends as I know less than you on how that redesigned SBMS40 looks like.