Tips or Tricks: Ribbon Sense Wire Stripping?

Marinepower

Dec 21, 2020, 7:50:46 PM12/21/20
to electrodacus
For all those who have already done this - I am in the process of hooking up my SBMS0 to a new pack of cells and finding it very challenging to strip the ribbon volt sensing / balancing wires.  I keep ending up with 1 or 2 broken strands of the very fine gauge wire.   Any one have a tip, tricks or favourite tool for this procedure?

I did search forum to see if could find this info elsewhere.  I know it's a basic procedure.  Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

MP

ask first

Dec 22, 2020, 8:15:50 AM12/22/20
to electrodacus
following. Hope someone has a quality stripper.

Dacian Todea

Dec 22, 2020, 12:59:27 PM12/22/20
to electrodacus
Marinepower,

Most people have wire stripers that can handle the wires easily. I can successfully strip those wires with just one of those blade cutter knives by having the wire between my thumb and cutter to make a small cut in the plastic insulation the rotate the wire 180 degree to make a cut on the other side while at the same time pull the insulation out. Is similar with what a quality cutter will do just faster.
There are at least two major types of wire stripers one is like this  https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/jonard-tools/JIC-2030/2308356  less expensive around $10 and then there is this style but more expensive https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/jonard-tools/WSA-1430/6243500

Marinepower

Dec 22, 2020, 2:43:12 PM12/22/20
to electrodacus
Thxs Dacian,

for some reason I am struggling to get clean cuts with the tools I have at hand.  I'll pick up a 30 - 20 gauge wire striper and see if that helps.

I did try the sharp knife + 180 degree rotation trick as my first plan of attack but could not do it constantly.  Poor eye sight is part of the problem for me.

Gordon Bland

Dec 22, 2020, 2:54:49 PM12/22/20
to electrodacus
Just an FYI. I had wire strippers similar to the jic-2030 that I temporarily misplaced so I bought a stripper similar to the wsa-1430. However the more expensive tool seemed b
more suited for thicker wires and struggled with thinner wires (especially cat cable) so the cheaper pliers type stripper worked best for me on thinner wires.

Harold

Dec 22, 2020, 3:08:45 PM12/22/20
to electrodacus
I would say the same !