Euro 230V single-phase Inverter to US split-phase 240v conversion?

Barry Timm

May 4, 2021, 11:04:45 PM5/4/21
to electrodacus
Asking here because of all the electrical whizzes!

I have a Victron Phoenix 24/2000 230v Euro inverter, which outputs 220-240v (user configurable at 50-60Hz (User configurable) with 3 wires, L, N and G.

I want this inverter to be the dedicated power source for a small US spec 240v split-phase air-conditioner, which has L1, L2 and G terminals. It expects 240V between the two hot legs (opposite phase) and 120V between L1 and G and 120V between L2 and G.

Is there a way to do this?

Do I have to use an Autotransformer, Like the Victron 32a Autotransformer?
I'm unclear whether it can take in a Euro 230v source (configured for 240v and 60Hz) and output 120V on L1 and 120V on L2 and a G wire.

What other options might I have? I don't even see any Victron Phoenix or Multiplus of 24vDC that outputs US split-phase without having to double-up the inverters.

Help!

Thanks!

Dacian Todea

May 5, 2021, 12:35:34 PM5/5/21
to electrodacus
Barry,

I'm not that familiar with split phase so this is just a less informed opinion.
You say the air conditioning has L1,L2 and G but the question is if that is G only as in grounding the case of the device and nothing else or it is N neutral and some of the circuits inside the device is using 120V
The notation I seen before on split phase appliances was L1,L2  N (neutral) and PE (ground).
Also I think (not sure about your model) that Victron inverter is transformer based that mean fully isolated and you can just not connect the ground.

Barry Timm

May 6, 2021, 12:12:49 AM5/6/21
to electrodacus
Thanks Dacian.
I had a professional electrician friend of mine come over and check it out and he said that there will not be an issue connecting it. I did so and we confirmed everything is working correctly. Am thrilled to have a solar powered A/C in the RV for when we are dry-camping without utilities, from only 1900w PV. The system is drawing more than I expected from the spec, but it seems to vary between 500w and 1000w depending on demand. It is hot here in Yuma (between 35C and 40C currently), so this will be worst case scenario for me.

Barry Timm

May 6, 2021, 12:16:02 AM5/6/21
to electrodacus
Oh, the A/C is purely 240v and no internal 120V systems. The G is chassis ground only.

Dacian Todea

May 6, 2021, 12:27:11 PM5/6/21
to electrodacus
Barry,

Thanks for providing the feedback. I suspected that may be the case but I can not be sure without seeing the device.
Glad to hear it works.