DSSR20 and DEXT16 Diversion to PMW unit

Greg Kowieski

Apr 22, 2021, 10:53:06 AMApr 22
to electrodacus
Pardon my ignorance.  I'm buying another DSSR20 with diversion and the DEXT16, (mainly for organization and I believe in scalability).  If the SBMS0 turns off the DSSR20, I believe the DEXT16 will automatically divert the dc to the RC Heat+.  I have a smaller pmw, (Renogy Voyager 12v20A), controller that I use for my SLA's and AGM's.  The specs say that the controller only accepts PV DC input.  So what I don't know is: Does the DEXT16 module "change" the current from PV DC current?

I'm hoping I can use the diversion to route the flow to the PMW, (although, I'll have to regulate the voltage to 12  and amperage to 20 for the PMW unit).

Dacian Todea

Apr 22, 2021, 12:49:18 PMApr 22
to electrodacus
Hi Greg,

Not quite sure I understand the question. The DEXT16 only controls the DSSR20 so DEXT16 is connected to the small grey connector to Batt and Heat and when charging Batt is enabled and if not charging the Heat will be enabled.
Then on DSSR20 when changing of Lithium battery is not needed the Heat+ will just output the PV panels so is like a switch that diverts the PV panels to Heat+ output and so if that PWM charge controller can handle the panels connected to DSSR20 then yes you can connect that PWM charger PV input to the Heat+ so that you can maybe charge a Lead Acid battery when the main Lithium battery is fully charged.
Is that a 12V/24V PWM or just 12V as it seems there are multiple variants and what panels do you have ? If you have 60 cell panels and PWM controller is 12V/24V then it should be fine but the charge will be limited to 20A so half of the panel's power will be utilized.  If is just 12V then you need to check the spec to see what is the max PV input voltage for that PWM charger.

Greg Kowieski

Apr 22, 2021, 3:42:08 PMApr 22
to electrodacus
You nailed my question perfectly!  I guess I did a horrible job explaining.  Thanks again.