How many external items can you connect the the SBMS0 to turn them off.

Gareth George

Dec 5, 2020, 5:32:50 PM12/5/20
to electrodacus
I can see in the documentation that you can turn of MPPT, inverter charger, and battery protect etc. How many of these devices can the SBMS0 communicate with in this way. I'm using it for my boat installation and would like to turn off 4 or possibly 5 devices. Is this possible? And if not could you use the same connection to turn off multiple devices by splitting the cable?

Dacian Todea

Dec 5, 2020, 5:45:37 PM12/5/20
to electrodacus
As many devices as you want can be controlled. If the devices are the exact same then it should be no problem to directly parallel the remote ON/OFF but if they have different types/standards then you may need to isolate each one with his own dedicated optoisolator and then the input of all those optoisolators can be controlled by one EXT IOx
The EXT IOx use the Toshiba TLP172 optoisolator so you can use the same one externally or something similar to control multiple devices and keep them isolated from each other.
If you do not have a soldering iron you can use the MRD-060D2 solid state relays for isolation so one of those for each device and then input of those controlled with EXT IOx.
EXT IOx can handle 50mA max so do not exceed that it is just an open or close circuit signal so you will need to have the battery in series with that to supply the input of an external optoisolator or the SSR like the MRD-060D2 mentioned before

FilterGuy

Dec 5, 2020, 6:13:24 PM12/5/20
to electrodacus
There are 4 total Ext I/O ports

> And if not could you use the same connection to turn off multiple devices by splitting the cable?

That depends on the devices.    If the devices turn on/off with a voltage signal,  then probably so.    If the devices need a switch (Zero Potential contacts) then you might have to put a small SSR between the SBMS0 Ext I/O and the device.

FilterGuy

Dec 5, 2020, 6:15:09 PM12/5/20
to electrodacus
multi.JPG