DSSR20 Heat+

Franco De Mei

Apr 23, 2021, 4:52:08 AMApr 23
to electrodacus
Hi to All,
I have a question concerning DSSR20, while  the Battery is charged,  not to loose,  unused power generated from solar panels, I would like use  EHAT + output  to supply 12 vdc power to a refrigerator.  To do that I need to connect  HEAT+ to a 12 volt dc-to-dc power supply or i can connect refrigerato directly to the Heat+ ?

Jhon

Apr 23, 2021, 8:14:13 AMApr 23
to electrodacus
I am genuinely interested to understand your reasons of why don't you supply the fridge from the battery as the SBMS0 will turn solar back on when the state of charge drops below 90%..  I can imagine a large block of water being cooled inside the fridge to "store the cold" but wouldn't it be easier to get a bigger battery and have more room in the fridge?

Looking at my own setup, I have a large fridge and a large freezer in my garage, connected via my inverter and they don't use all that much, at least not yet, the garage is relatively cool compared to the rest of the house.

Franco De Mei

Apr 23, 2021, 9:12:22 AMApr 23
to electrodacus
Hi John,
 it's quite simple, the system is installed on my boat. The greatest current consumption, on a sailing boat,  is given from fridge. in the summer while you are at the anchor, once the battery is charged, the fridge take current from battery  discharging them again. If I can use diversion, to run the fridge, I don't stress the battery with continuous charge-dischrge  cycles.

Jhon

Apr 23, 2021, 9:40:22 AMApr 23
to electrodacus
Thanks Franco.  Mine is constantly going from charging to discharging depending on the solar output and load...

Dacian Todea

Apr 23, 2021, 2:46:58 PMApr 23
to electrodacus
Solar panel is a constant current voltage and assuming those are 36 cell panels you may see up to 24V open circuit voltage that will also be present on Heat+ as that just outputs the same thing as the panel.
If panels can not offer what the fridge is using the fridge will just intermittently power ON/OFF as the power supply has not enough input power so it will shut OFF maybe get damaged. It also depends on what type of fridge you have but if it is a compressor based the fridge will also not like this and likely not work at all as the solar panels may not be able to provide the needed startup power.
You will also getting complicated for nothing as batteries are not streset at all if they cycle those 3% SOC at the top as a LiFePO4 can handle half a million such cycles almost the same as a super capacitor and you will barely have maybe at most 10 to 20 of this 3% cycles during the day so that is absolutely nothing for the battery.

LiFePO4-cycles.png

Franco De Mei

Apr 24, 2021, 5:46:57 AMApr 24
to electrodacus