my SBMS display

Jim A

Mar 19, 2021, 9:14:17 PMMar 19
to electrodacus
There have been a few posts by people showing displays they developed for the SBMS.  So, I decided to share mine as well.

 SBMS display.jpg

This is running on a Raspberry PI utilizing Grafana & InfluxDB.  Credit goes to Dave Burton who did all the heavy lifting (programming) for this and posted his work on Github for everyone.  My display took awhile for me to get just right... a steep learning curve for me on Grafana since I'm not a programmer.  I have 2 instances running, one on a SBMS120 (RV) and one on a SBMS0 (workshop).  A Raspberry Pi 4B and a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

I hope this is helpful.  If anyone likes this and is interested in using it let me know and I can post my json script.  I originally used Dave's and modified it to this.

All feedback and suggestions are welcome for improvements.

jim

Will OBrien

Mar 19, 2021, 9:22:45 PMMar 19
to electrodacus
Nice work!

Kohala Jim

Mar 20, 2021, 1:22:48 PMMar 20
to electrodacus
Agreed, looks great... I'm still debating the merits of long term storage of SMBS data.
I give the Grafana UX the nod over Node-RED in overall niceness.

Casey

Mar 21, 2021, 12:18:36 AMMar 21
to electrodacus
I'm looking forward to doing something like this eventually.  I use Grafana already for unrelated purposes, and would love to have the SBMS data available on my local network.  A Raspberry Pi seems like a good fit for it.  Your screenshot looks great!

Harold

Mar 21, 2021, 4:54:04 PMMar 21
to electrodacus
Hi Jim A

Looks nice.

I previously tried doing something unrelated with grafana and InfluxDB but never went trough the  steep learning curve.

It would be nice if you could make some kind of detailed tutorial on how you fit everything together to get this working.

David Burton

Mar 22, 2021, 3:33:57 PMMar 22
to electrodacus
Thanks for the shout out Jim.  There is indeed a guide and simple script that installs all of the software for you.  I wrote a python script that you can run from a Pi and it should install and configure everything.  It assumes a couple things, but they are listed in the guide here:

I have been using this remotely for a long time now as I have a small setup on my land as I've been waiting to build my house.  I will be completely off grid with all solar going through SBMS.  I have started the home automation piece as well with the SBMS data inside of InfluxDB, I have now been able to drive some automations with Home Assistant and Node-Red.  I'm using Node-Red for the backend logic.  Can't wait to break ground and go full scale :)

Soggy Paws

Mar 22, 2021, 10:12:23 PMMar 22
to electrodacus
That looks really cool.  I took a different approach (at least for now), I am logging to a CSV file that gets archived nightly with a date stamp.  If I get time to either figure out how to get Influx and Grafana installed on my aging Windows 7 laptop, or get one of my 2 RPi's fully commissioned, I will probably use a database as well.  I'd be interested in seeing your flows file as I'm sure there are things I could learn.

Murray Argo

Jul 13, 2021, 10:43:22 PMJul 13
to electrodacus
Jim,
how does your script differ from Dave's? Specifically with the SBMS120

Jim A

Jul 15, 2021, 12:57:04 PMJul 15
to electrodacus
I used Dave's original Grafana script for the dashboard presentation.  I used it as a learning tool and eventually changed it to suit my desires for a presentation of data.  Mine is neither better or worse... just different.  Everyone wants something slightly different, that's the beauty Grafana, once you learn how to program it it's easy to customize. Hope that helps.

note:  I'm not a technical person or a programmer.  I'm just good at following directions (Dave's directions were perfect!) and figuring things out.  If I can do this, anybody can.

jim

Tim D.

Jul 15, 2021, 9:08:01 PMJul 15
to electrodacus
Jim,

That is one nice looking dashboard.

Are you accessing your dashboard over WiFi with something like VNC viewer or do you use a screen plugged into the HDMI port of the Pi?

Would you mind posting your json script for Grafana, I'd like to take a look at how you accomplished this. I have a pi3 I could repurpose for this. not sure I have the programing skills to replicate this, but it's worth a try

I have a SBMS120 for my camper and want to do something similar

Thanks,
Tim